Decentralization of Notion Permissions Proposal

I’m someone who believes in stacking roles (i.e. a Guild Coordinator could additionally have this role) for the purposes of clearly defining responsibility, but we spec’d it as a new role to allow each guild to do it their own way.

There’s also no central definition of a what a Guild Coordinator is (there should be), so we didn’t want to stall the proposal to have to figure that out.

I don’t quite agree with this statement, our organizational focus is also a resource we have to marshal, and the Ops Guild isn’t in the business of building new products.

If you feel strongly about this, I do encourage you to make it happen, and I’d certainly be an early user! In the meantime, I’ll have to use the products that are available to me.

I touched on it here: Decentralization of Notion Permissions Proposal - #12 by links

TL;DR - would prefer it be part of the seasonal guild budget, but that may not be possible this season due to time constraints.

To close the loop on this

• reduced # of people with top-level Notion access from 106 → 12
  • reduced # members from 30 → 12
  • increased “permission compartments” from 1 → 75 (13 guilds, 60 projects, grants, gse)

This project is now closed and Notion Administration under Ops will take over ongoing maintenance.

Thanks to everyone for your patience!

4 Likes

Wow, super important issue that you brought up here. Thanks for putting in the efforts to write this proposal :raised_hands: