Improving $BANK Liquidity and Utility by creating a 80% BANK / 20% WETH Pool on Balancer Protocol

Document is read only. So if you can change it that would be great.

1 Like

Fixed, you should be able to edit the document now.

1 Like

Available liquidity is essential to allowing people to invest in large positions.

I can see the benefits of launching a balancer 80:20 pool in terms of allowing the treasury / DAO members to create BANK liquidity without tying up too much ETH (ideal for a treasury that is heavily funded by the native token).

Iā€™m sure many protocols have used the 80:20 pools for this purpose (and BAL rewards are always welcome).

However, DeFi is moving.

Polygon trading volumes are huge, and itā€™s low cost.

BANK is a small market cap, and has minimal volume, so not that attractive to the exchanges.

However, BANKless is a huge brand in DeFi, so I see a reasonably smooth route to getting incentives in $MATIC, $SUSHI or $QUICK.

While having the main liquidity for a token on L2 isnā€™t that common at the moment, I donā€™t see it being a problem for BANK, traders will find it (and market forces will soon solve the arbitrage opportunities between L1 and L2).

A potentially unsolved question is allowing LPā€™s to vote BANK in a L2 staking contract - Iā€™m not sure anyone is doing it yet, but people will be thinking about it.

One related question:
How big a liquidity pool do we need?
What size of position do we see people accumulating?
I suspect most holders are either air drop recipients, community learning or people who purchased 35k (like me) with long term hold mentalities - so minimal trade volume.

One final comment: The liquidity considerations for BANK donā€™t apply to BED. BED will require reasonable L1 liquidity for the foreseeable future (but Uni v3 helps significantly).

6 Likes

People suggesting L1 to store liquidity either havenā€™t used L2 or are unaware of the pain and suffering of small traders trying to transact on l1

4 Likes

$10 fees? Isnt that too much?

2 Likes

I already made an 80/20 BANK/WETH pool: Balancer. It is an Oracle pool with delegated swap fees (i.e., we can ask Gauntlet to manage the swap fee dynamically to optimize LP returns. I initially set the fee high because itā€™s low liquidity).

So, one option is to just use this existing pool - and ask Gauntlet to manage fees + make a governance proposal for LP mining. Or if the community would rather have permanently fixed fees, I could withdraw from the current pool and create that one.

Iā€™d advise against fragmenting liquidity by creating duplicate pools with different fees. Having one pool with dynamically managed fees seems like a good solution that hasnā€™t been considered.

Itā€™s even possible to create an owned pool where the fees could be set dynamically through Bankless community governance, if thereā€™s an appropriate multi-sig account to use as the owner.

2 Likes

Great idea! I would totally be an LP for a balancer 80/20 pool. Uniswap pool not so much.

1 Like

I think we should first focus on layer 1 and L2 can be added later. Think of it like building a house, where L1 is the foundation and framework and L2 makes it livable :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for putting this together. We certainly want to find more ways to generate usage of $BANK. What all the gentleman said above carries my most relevant talking points. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Weā€™ve moved this proposal to the next stage - please give any final feedback on the proposal here: [Draft] Create an 80% BANK / 20% WETH Liquidity Pool on Balancer to improve $BANK Liquidity

1 Like

Balancer is already on Polygon. I could create a pool there as well, if thereā€™s a corresponding BANK token there so it can be bridged.

5 Likes

And now we are on Arbitrum as well.

The token has been bridged, but I think there is more work to do on it.
@sweetman.eth I think was working on it.

Moving to archive. Please reply to reopen.