Thoughts on Ombuds Office as it Stands Right now

Hello all:

I have been moved to discuss some thoughts on Ombuds.

In my year of being in bDAO, I’ve admired many members of ombuds, including @jawna.ETH @TheMarvel , and others. I’ve admired the job that they have completed, and the service that they have provided to the community.

During this previous season, I have seen some different occurrences where there have been issues that led me to ask questions about integrity within ombuds.

Let’s take a moment to check out the term integrity:

Miriam Webster Defines Integrity as (one or the defintions)

• The quality or state of being complete or undivided
  • incorruptible, trustworthy, responsibility.

This does not mean that the integrity of ALL members of ombuds are in questions. As that is not the intent.

I have seen some actions that calls the common goal of integrity into question as far as ombudsman are concerned. So I decided I would present a few questions to see what people think.

Should Ombudsman Practice “proactive solution creation?” (This means, if they see a conflict beginning while in discord, in whatever capacity, they state that they are ombudsman, and they attempt to solve the problem, instead of having the conflict come to them)

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe, I’ll explain

0 voters

- Should ombudsman also hold roles in other guilds? Could this cause a conflict of interest, if a problem arises in the guild they hold a role in?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe, I’ll explain

0 voters

• Should ombudsmen hold their position for a year?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Maybe, I’ll explain

0 voters

I’ll be adding more to this conversation as we continue, but I would like to see what input folks have in the DAO.

Thank you all!

As a member of the 1st year ombudsman team and it’s establishment as a 1 year term of office I was pleased to be elected and attempted to actively serve. I think this being the only role one serves in assists in impartiality, a year is a long time but indicates to the community dedication to task, observance of seasonal changes of process and personalities and strengthens team communication as well as skills in conflict resolution. I think there are times when guild or project participation and careful comment could head off a formal complaint and I am not smart enough to know so I voted Maybe. Judgement and experience but come into play. Rarely am I ever a binary choice person. I attempt to leave room for a middle path. I do think it best that ombudsman remain approachable and only hear case brought to them and attempt to resolve them as a team.

1 Like

I can see both sides of the scenario along with you. There are sometimes when you can (using your general good human skills) act in perhaps the same way an Ombudsman would, proactively.

Where we come to an issue is whether a person could be considered as playing both sides of the field.

You dont want to vote in a poll, and then try and talk a person out of the poll (in the positive or the negative) while stating your an ombudsman, simply due to the fact that the role is supposed to be (based on my opinion) impartial.

the problem arises in maybe 0.5 percent of situations. Typically, you can use your best judgement (in the above scenario, you could honestly pick option, you could vote, you could try and solve the problem and encourage the person to find a different solution besides a poll, but doing both is a rough move.

I really get your point about ombuds, you’ve been there and I also look up to you. I apologies to the whole BDAO community for what happened the other day, it was never my intention to spoil things, I was just trying to help but it seems I did it in a wrong way. I won’t indulge in such conversation again until it’s been brought to the ombuds office. Peace :raised_hands::orange_heart::green_heart:

1 Like

I appreciate your opinion. You have a lot of amazing points with respect to this scenario.

1 Like

I appreciate the candor.

It is good to make some decisions out loud pertaining to ombuds and conflict of interest situations
. Or at least discuss them

1 Like