Coordinape Incident Report and next steps

Derp, I should’ve thought of that. Of course the funds weren’t distributed.

I’d like to share a bit of my rational for how I responded to the above polls.

Forum Polls

I voted for 150k in the investigative retro funding, for the 4 contributors, for the following reasons. In Links’ above comment, this intervention saved the DAO an immediate 60k BANK that we know about, with a reasonable probability of more being lost in future seasons plus other exploits.At 70 hours, x1000 BANK, we get 70k BANK. So total is at least 120k of value added to the dao.

100k is just too low, common fam. I might even change it to 200k. 150k/4 is 37.5k BANK to each contributor.

For the second poll I voted for more than 200k. Coordinape hasa been 4.5 million BANK per season, 4.5/0.2 is just over 22 work streams funded. But less than 100k is the current most voted option!?

This might just be the most opinionated statement I’ve made since joining the DAO but seeing the state of both these polls at the lowest value options having the most votes… I’d almost want to scrap coordinape and use that “Less than 100k BANK” to fund Ela Dane’s cNPS survey seasonal reports.

I missed more than half the Coordinape sign ups I’ve been around for so it wasn’t the biggest deal to me really. These votes for compensating the investigative team and funding a new work stream are really telling.

Discord Polls

Moving on, the two polls in Discord about consequences for Whales, and others, I didn’t vote because I didn’t feel the options represented how I’d approach it.

I would vote “The DAO, on snapshot” but with the caveat that the vote should be based on a procedure in the constitution (which doesn’t exist yet), but really my solution would be a mix of B D & E. For similar situations as this I would think this should be the responsibility of Ops(maybe Om Buds?) that once an incident has been deemed to have occurred to then assign a contributor to fill out a template, like the bDIP template, and post it to the forums.

It would contain things like, evidence, damage report, funds lost, cost of repairs (including the cost of funding this report), etc. As well as a criteria for doing right by the DAO, a path to redemption (amount of BANK to return to the DAO, probation from L2 status and holding roles, etc.). Once that vote passes the forums, send it to Snapshot.

Very similar to the bDIP process. The path to redemption, except in the most extreme circumstances, should be required to make sure we’re focusing on restorative justice rather than retributive.

This leads me to the second poll on Discord, What shoiuld the punishment for Whales be? I don’t think a Discord ban is warranted. They aren’t spamming, have already left the server anyway, aren’t phishing, none of that, so the door should remain open if they did want to return and do right by the DAO; with the following requirements.

A & B, removal of L2 & and block from holding rolls should both happen. Indefinitely until repairs are made to the DAO. After repairs are made a probation period would start (1-2 seasons maybe?). Repairs would entail repaying the DAO the 60k they provably attempted to exploit, plus the amount awarded to the investigative team, plus an amount for the unknown amount they exploited previously (I would say this should be the amount of BANK Whales received total across all seasons from Coordinape due to a complete loss of trust, but it lacks evidence, so I’m still a little unsure on that point)

This is a bit of a wall of text so I’ll stop here.

3 Likes