Regarding the Previous DAO Wide Coordinape Admin, Whales

This is a discussion regarding repercussions regarding members in bDAO. Specifically, @Whales, the Coordinape Admin since the beginning of Season 6.

I believed at first, that it was possible that Whales was not given the tools to succeed. That situation may still be true. However, due to recent issues that have come to light, I believe that we need to take a deeper look at what to do about this situation.

I believe that we need to look into different repercussions surrounding the behavior of the recent Coordinape Admin, Whales, during the December DAO-Wide Coordinape (hereafter mentioned as “Coordinape”).

As we know, there have been numerous issues uncovered with respect to the December Coordinape, resulting in the added work of many including @Sprinklesforwinners @brian @links @LiviuC and more, to try and rectify the situation. While many of those issues have been realized, and solutions are in the works, There were two specific issues uncovered that need to be addressed with potential repercussions.

There are two instances regarding Impersonation of two bDAO L2 Members, Tomahawk, and Shaun(Danicng Penguin).

Exhibit A, @tomahawk was impersonated - WIP - Findings from the data surrounding Season 6 December Coordinape - Google Docs

Exhibit B, @dancingpenguin.eth was impersonated - Coordinape S6 - Google Docs

These attached forms show evidence that Whales used the Coordinape Form process to create a Coordinape Entry for both himself, and Tomahawk. You can see this by the same entry id being used for both of them.

The second set of forms also show that there was a change that occurred with respect to Shaun’s coordinape entry, that did not get cleared out of the previous coordinape.

I am using this platform due to the response that was received in the Coordinape Workstream. I do not believe that this is a situation that needs to be passed by, and it needs to be discussed.

What do we do about members who acted with malicious intent? What do we do when members are unknowingly malicious in their actions?

The evidence shows that Whales abused his privilege as a Coordinape Admin, for financial, and potentially governance-based gain. What does that mean for how we vet role holders in the future? What does this mean for how we vet contributors now?

I believe that a possible consequence of this action should be the removal of his L2 tag. Another possibility could be to strip him from roles that he is connected to. Especially Coordinape involved roles.

He has shown that he is not a contributor, and his actions were not aligned with the DAO. I do not have the bandwidth to create a proposal at this very moment, as I believe there are internal channels that can discuss this situation.

For those who are asking about why I have presented this on forums, instead of in discord where he can have a chance to explain himself, see the coordinape workstream on Discord. I have attached that link below.

[Discord]

As well, I hope that we can spend Season 7 reflecting on how we can truly decide how contributors can maintain integrity.

In the pursuit of equality, we all have to look out for each other.

Thank you all for your time. This will be followed up soon with more information regarding Coordinape.

11 Likes

Thank you, @homie, for putting this together and for all of your hard work over the past few weeks. Both you and @Sprinklesforwinners have put in countless hours to collect and examine data around all of the Coordinape issues we’ve been facing.

In light of this issue and the outcomes of your efforts to clarify the actions (and suspect transactions) of many DAO members with respect to Coordinape, as you’ve suggested on Discord already, I think we should halt our use of Coordinape at the DAO level until we can come up with a solution.

I understand that the documents you’ve shared strongly suggest that @Whales abused his access and authority as the DAO Coordinape Admin, and tampered with Coordinape data for personal benefit. Posting it to the forum makes sense to me, and I think it will give the DAO an opportunity to review the data you’ve presented and decide for themselves. It will also give Whales an opportunity to help us understand what happened.

As the Ops Dept Coordinator and the person who coordinated the elections for the DAO Coordinape Admin role, I agree that Whales likely wasn’t provided the “tools” (knowledge, experience, support) to succeed, but he was elected into the role by those who believed he had what it took to succeed. In fact, he received more votes than @LiviuC, who had been fulfilling the role for the previous two seasons without issue.

Though I think many are already aware, it’s important that the DAO knows we’ve been struggling with open elections for some time. Roles are highly sought after as they come with consistent compensation, and I believe many in the DAO vote for their friends as opposed to voting for the candidate with the most merit or experience. So while the Ops Dept is responsible to ensure elected role holders have the necessary skills and support needed to succeed, it’s incumbent upon the electors to ensure they’re voting for the person best suited for the role - especially a sensitive role like the DAO Coordinape Admin.

Some will argue that if there is a game, it will be gamed - it’s human nature. And in the absence of formal policy or rules against certain actions (collusion, nepotism, embezzlement, etc.) we as a DAO have no recourse against such actions. I would argue there are many unspoken social agreements constantly at play and, if broken, serve as the basis for consensus on remediative actions.

Thanks again @homie and @Sprinklesforwinners, your efforts will have meaningful outcomes!

3 Likes

Here is the direct link to Whales’ response in the Coordinape workstream channel: Discord

I think Whales should be removed from BanklessDAO.

Not being given the tools to perform a role successfully does not provide a rationale for fraud. While I understand that you want to give Whales some benefit of the doubt, there is strong evidence, not purely circumstantial, that he has lied and cheated his way through the role.

9 Likes

Being clear, I do not intend on giving him any benefit of the doubt for this one.

I whole heartedly agree with you. @Trewkat

4 Likes

It’s regrettable that we’ve reached this stage with a member of bDAO. Luckily the bad actor has been found out and is now facing the realities of being caught.

For bDAO to be the leader in the DAO sphere, I echo the sentiments of others that these actions cannot go on without severe consequences.

1 Like