Guest Pass Temperature Check

When you suggest limiting the amount of BANK a guest passer can earn. What is the goal? I will admit this confuses me.

Will guest passers no longer be able to gain level 1 with their bank?

If they cannot get level 1 through that route, will people not be much more likely to sell their accrued BANK off? Which I thought was what you were trying to avoid?

Iā€™m an Other and It's complicated

I think a guest pass should be like a free season pass. Only ever get 1 (i.e. no renewal and 12-week duration). You either integrate quickly as a contributor and earn lots of BANK or you just pay the difference after doing your best to make some ā€˜starter BANKā€™ and then join the rest of us HODLn (or subscribing).

I believe this works regardless of the model.

Today: 35k BANK
Tomorrow: Subscription (then this is like a 12-week free trial)
Tomorrow-chad version: Optional time-lock BANK in lieu of subscription (still a 12-week free trial path available)

I think itā€™s worth looking at hardening this into an expiring Otterspace ntNFT or similar too to make it easier to have access auto-revoked (see our S6 Otterspace experiment of expiring SeasonParticipant badges mentioned in the Season 6 poll and proposed by @0xJustice in Aug)

I also think itā€™s worth making it a little more of an apply/review sort of thing with a minor amount of friction (i.e. Iā€™m proposing a lengthening of the duration and making it a 1-time thing so adding a little more upfront management of it is perhaps a fair tradeoff for not having to deal w/ recurring renewal B.S.)

I think immediately making it an expiring badge is a good way to get started and then as SeasonPass subscriptions and/or advanced Tokenomics improvements come online in the near future itā€™s pretty trivial to roll this into that (i.e. the subscription contract or locking contracts become an oracle to the allow-list for minting passes w/ likely the subscription contract having a ā€˜free trialā€™ feature in it OR a manual application and manually added to allow list path for guest passes)

All the things are related but perhaps can move at different paces if we wish.
Iā€™m easily convinced of 12 week via 2 4-wk renewals (as seems to be favoured by the poll) ā€“ but only if thereā€™s incredible automation and it address the pains felt by current renewal management overhead (and to some degree apathy in review)

2 Likes

I would not be here without unlimited renewals. I know I am special. I was here as L1 due to airdrop and before we had guest pass. I was stupid and phished loosing all my bank. Many roles were unpaid ie ombudsman so as a guest pass holder could not earn bank even via Coordinape which guest pass holders were ineligible for monthly until rule changed. It took me 3 seasons to earn enough bank. 40 hours or more a week. The experiment requires change but I appreciate the allowance of IRL circumstances that allow for individual circumstance. More time please.

2 Likes

your math is wrong in the polls invalidating them btw

Hi,

Iā€™m a hardcore bankless subscriber but new to the bDAO. Iā€™m a guest pass holder. Even though there are unlimited renewals. It would motivate me to act faster and contribute more if I could see how much time I have left on my guest pass before it expires.

I am in for the long haul and plan to stake 35K BANK. I am still trying to figure my way around and as soon as I do, I will start to contribute and earn BANK.

It would be great to read about the ways other bDAO members earned their way in. What did they do. How much they earned by doing it. And why they wanted to join the bDAO. Iā€™d love to join more of the community calls to engage with members but in my timezone, itā€™s proven to be difficult.

Thanks for what you do. Happy to be here.

4 Likes

A bit late to this, but needed to add some feedback.

Personally I donā€™t think we should limit the Guest Pass.

Once again it seems like a proposal that isolates a problem without considering the whole roster of symptoms.

My personal experience as someone who has joined this year, and has been top 5 guest passer for multiple months on Coordinape:

• it took me 3months to raise L1 funds
  • I joined the DAO for project work, and L1 atm is too geared towards more responsibility - starting a project or as an on-ramp to governance at L2

Most will challenge this view by saying that L1 is also about belonging. I acknowledge this but this is an alienating view if someone doesnā€™t feel belonging in general and also doesnā€™t find it in the DAO. One can provide value without feeling a sense of belonging.

And in my case Iā€™ve always been here to offer opinions and learn with others. I donā€™t feel the need to belong to a group and L1 needs to have more utility than that.

Also IRL Iā€™m in a leadership position and I categorically donā€™t want to have more leadership responsibility in my spare time, yet L1 allows you to start projects or work towards a governance role.

This proposal doesnā€™t solve any concerns with L1 and would have directly impacted my journey to L1. Although Iā€™m not the most vocal in the DAO, topping the charts on Coordinape would suggest that I did add value, so if this policy would have been in place a few months ago this value exchange would not have existed.

2 Likes

@blockboy I am wondering your thoughts on each guild issuing guest passes - after a contributor has onboarded with the guild.