- Today, our Guest Pass has unlimited renewals, effectively giving Guest access in perpetuity and limiting our ability to raise the bar of commitment in the DAO.
- The BanklessDAO Constitution allows Guests to access bDAO for 14 days.
- BanklessDAO should issue Four (4) week Guest Passes with Two (2) renewals
- We must update our Guest Pass mechanics to convert Guests to Members and improve participation and contributions to the DAO.
Mission and Value Alignment
3.2.1 Guests of the [BanklessDAO constitution]
Guests are designated by their “Guest Pass” role tag. After completing an onboarding process, Guest Pass holders are granted 14 days to investigate, participate, and test the community waters. Individuals who desire to move beyond the guest status do so by confirming that they hold the required amount of BANK for Level 1 Membership.
Our Guest Pass mechanics are flawed in many ways:
- Guest Pass is infinitely renewable, enabling Guests to participate in bDAO without holding BANK.
- This reduces the utility of holding BANK and incentivizes value-extracting contributors (i.e., earn BANK, sell BANK, and leave).
- It discourages the retention of value-creating Members to stay and contribute (i.e., Members who believe in bDAO’s mission and want to increase the value of BANK).
- The 14-day duration of Guest Pass and role assignments are managed at the application level, creating a reliance on third-party applications (Collabland, Guild, Discord)
- Guest Passes are distributed to Guests who introduce themselves and their proposed contributions in #get-involved, requiring bDAO Members to grant passes when requested.
- Level 2 contributors are enabled to renew a Guest Pass without limits.
IT’S TIME TO ACT.
To remedy the flaws of Guest Pass’s mechanics, we should align Guest Passes with their intended purpose, as documented in BanklessDAO’s Constitution.
- Per the BanklessDAO Constitution, one 14-day Guest Pass should be claimable by one guest.
- One guest = one DiscordID + Wallet
- Guest Passes should be on-chain and created/allocated through a bDAO Guest Pass contract, reducing the reliance on third-party applications and bDAO contributors.
- The contract will manage the duration of the Guest Pass
- After 12 weeks, Guest Passes will expire, remaining in a Guest’s wallet and showing a balance of ‘0’ when they attempt to verify the asset in bDAO’s Discord through Collabland or Guild.
Limiting the duration of the Guest Pass to 4 weeks days with 2 renewals allows Guests to join, engage, and participate in the BanklessDAO community and decide if it is for them. It provides a time-based incentive to foster relationships with Members, learn how to earn BANK and determine how they can contribute to the DAO.
Constraining Guests to a finite onboarding period creates a better experience, inspiring Guests to explore projects best suited to their abilities and desires quickly. It creates a better experience for members, raising the bar of commitment for new Members.
Limiting a Guest Pass to a finite amount of access will create demand for BANK. This will incentivize more capital and Members to join and contribute.
The Guest Pass contract will be deployed on Unlock Protocol. Unlock Protocol is an open-source protocol that has created time-bound memberships as NFTs (ERC-721s) on EVM-compatible networks since 2018. The Guest Pass contract will be owned and managed by bDAO. Unlock Protocol has a stellar reputation in the space and is the leader in creating memberships as NFTs. Leading projects like Cabin and others have built their membership infrastructure using Unlock Protocol.
The Guest Pass contract will manage the duration of Guest Passes. bDAO can extend a Guest’s membership if necessary and agreed upon by the community.
Guest Passes will be claimed by Guests and airdropped to wallets associated with a Guest’s DiscordID. Each DiscordID is passed (hashed for privacy) as the data argument and stored in a programmable hook which would fail if a DiscordID has already claimed a guest pass.
Guests must attend a New Joiner Session before receiving access to the broader Bankless DAO Discord server. This will provide a better experience for Guests, encouraging rapid participation and exploration during their time in the DAO. A better onboarding experience will increase the number of Guests who become Members.
- Conversion of Guests to Members compared to infinite renewals
- The number of Guests to the BanklessDAO server compared to existing mechanics
- Increase in BANK value due to increase in Membership
Solidity specifications and constraints of limiting Guest Passes to a finite renewal for community Members.
Ops Department to align on the process for claiming a 4 week Guest Pass, Guest Pass contract ownership, community roles, and updating DAO-wide documentation.
Dev Guild to align on the technical implementation (network, contract management, Discord access) of claiming a Guest Pass and any constraints/gaps.
Treasury Department to align on the potential impact of their tokenomics efforts
Education Department to align on updating onboarding sessions and documentation, focusing on acceleration within a 3 month duration to encourage Guests to become community Members.
Determine budget and team.
The cost to update claiming process and documentation revisions is TBD.
The Guest pass contract is deployed through Unlock Protocol to manage claiming, duration, and management.
1. A custom programmable hook will be created to manage one claim to one Discord ID + Wallet 1. Unlock Labs to support the above technical implementation at no charge to the DAO.
The cost to update onboarding sessions, documentation, and supporting contributors is TBD.
Get a consensus on the plan.
Submit a request to the Grants Committee for funding.
Implement and roll out.
- Disagree (I will comment below)
- Abstain (I will comment below)