TEMP CHECK - Guest Pass V2

I think you’re right.

I also think ultimately this may not address the tokenomics issue as some are thinking.

@Icedcool

I also saw mention of access to gitcoin grants. I am under the impression that the majority of the DAO doesn’t get access to gitcoin grants because there are a set group of guilds that have access. It’s a good time to find out if that’s not the case

I would support this if there was an actual concerted effort to assist people across the guild. Making this decision, then saying “well it’s up to the guilds, while constraining access to funding for the guilds so quickly , Isn’t the answer.

Perhaps we instead try and give clear access to all guilds with information as to how to work together (or not, or education in grants, I mean anything I suppose)

This I do believe for a right now in its form will have consequences that the DAO may not be as willing to face.

It might not be the perfect solution yet regarding sybil protection and friction.
My suggestion: start soon and simple, get feedback, then adapt!

Unlock protocol is a great platform for this use case of expiring and renewable passes, great choice!

Don’t hesitate to ask me if you need help regarding Gitcoin Passport.
I agree it has quite some friction for beginners.

4 Likes

According to the replies I’ve going through I recognized two main problems: not enough time to earn Bank, people earn and sell without further quality contribution.

The Gitcoin passport onboarding seems complex for the average user. Additionally, there’s nothing stopping someone from creating a new wallet and Discord account to start afresh. The expired GP system isn’t foolproof either; if you earn minimal BANK, and use all your GPs, you can sell BANK, potentially leading to leave and not return. Closing doors isn’t aligned with the DAO’s mission to onboard people to web3. Also, it’s not solving the problem:

“- Guest Pass is infinitely renewable, enabling Guests to participate in bDAO without holding BANK.
- This reduces the utility of holding BANK and incentivizes value-extracting contributors (i.e., earn BANK, sell BANK, and leave).
- It discourages the retention of value-creating Members to stay and contribute (i.e., Members who believe in bDAO’s mission and want to increase the value of BANK).”

My idea is creating an onboarding system that will give the opportunities to earn TL Bank as we also eager to make it more usable. I have in mind a new role of DAO Success Coordinator. DAO Success Coordinator will track the progress of guests and support them on their early journey.

System Outline:

1. Guests attend meeting, network and take bounties.
  2. Guests reports weekly/bi-weekly in DAO Success Channel, tagging people (L1/L2) who can prove their contribution (taks, meeting visited, bounties claimed, etc.)
  3. Tagged people react to the message
  4. DAO Success Coordinator/s review the result of the guest bi-weekly/monthly/after the expired GP.
  5. Guests earn NFTs instead of BANK (5K Bank NFT, that is the confirmation that the contributor complete the bounties)
  6. Upon accumulating 8 NFTs, guests can trade them for a TL Bank and then directly start to earn BANK.

Benefits:

1. Contributors become more skilled and aware.
  2. They’re more goal-oriented.
  3. Those not meeting the required BANK amount can’t claim it and sell it.
  4. Contributors can take their time to achieve the necessary BANK.

For sure, system is open for suggestions.

5 Likes

To all the folks who have voted no, @homie @anafante @Gahbby @Oracle @melasin1237 @innov8tor3 @Leahpar @RendBen @moses3k

Can we solve your general objections by introducing a scholarship program or a loan for promising contributors?
All contributors will be allowed to prove their value to the DAO by first participating the guest pass program and if they have insufficient BANK to become L1, they can apply for a scholarship program or a loan from the DAO, where the DAO can offer the remaining tokens as permanently locked BANK to bridge the gap and allow participation to continue?

4 Likes

How would you earmark funds for this program?

How many contributors have you chatted with in regards to seeing how short they are?

2 Likes

Oooooooh i am really intrigued by the idea that GP can only earn tlBANK. Would narrow GP down to purpose-aligned individuals.

Very interesting, thanks for writing this!

2 Likes

I like this idea too.
At Bankless Publishing we had begun to think about a similar mechanism for tlBANK - whereby we could award first few contributions with an NFT and then award time-locked BANK to enable membership.

1 Like

We can earmark 10% of the seasonal budget for this program. I don’t think chatting with contributors is an objective way to solve this tho, we need to investigate token flows over a timeperiod directly onchain to gauge this.

I second the idea @Romano has and I suggest everyone should be paid in tlBANK by default. This way everyone earns, but only long term value aligned contributors stay and continue

3 Likes

The TL bank idea is good.

Tell me why you don’t think that talking to guest pass members about why they have stayed as guest pass isn’t a good idea?

1 Like

This is a good idea, you’re right.

So what needs to be discussed is if the DAO wants to retain people who are looking at banklessdao as a place to earn income (I.e. work) or is it not.

If it isn’t a place to earn income (while still being value aligned). Then so be it. It does not have to be. It can be volunteer really! But as long as it’s made clear, or it’s made clear that you have to hit level X to begin to actually use this group as a place for income; then that is good. (Aka using guest passes for what they’re supposed to be used for)

But as long as it’s made clear, or there’s a contingency in place for those who have been earning using bank as a way to make a living; but have been value aligned.

Then the plan is perfectly fine.

@Jengajojo this is what my thoughts are regarding this plan.

1 Like

Balance the two. Talking to people and checking outflows.

Hey, Jeremy from Gitcoin Passport here, I would love to learn more about the friction that you’re hearing about Passport @Icedcool @Romano. It should be relatively easy (<5 minutes) for most users to create a Passport with a score > 20. I’m always happy to make improvements or brainstorm how we can make it effective for Bankless DAO members!

5 Likes

Thats a good solution!

Since November 2021, I’ve been a hardcore Bankless subscriber. Since November 2022, I’ve been a die hard fan of BanklessDAO.

I contributed in Global Events with @Jengajojo, Bankless Card with @links, and dev guild with @LordRanchoatos1813. Back then, I was on GP status for about 4 months. I made 7K BANK.

The reason I joined BanklessDAO was to meet people who were as passionate as I was about web3, build things that would add value, and be a part of a community who people respected. I feel I achieved all those things. My sentiment was if I could earn income from it, that was just a bonus not an expectation.

Because I needed to pay the bills, I wasn’t able to contribute as much as I would have liked. Earning my way to L1 would be ideal but I’m still not sure how to do it so if the only way to be in the DAO would be to purchase 35K BANK, I would gladly do it.

Since April, due to work commitments, I had to take some time off. I’m back now. Currently, I’m short 28K. I’m planning to make up the balance through writing. I don’t know how long that would take, but I’m in it for the long haul.

+1 tlBANK idea.

bDAO strong.

5 Likes

@sianjon

So based on this plan, (I’ll use this to understand the process just incase I get it wrong anyone can correct me)

You can’t use the DAO to pay your bills because you in theory cannot use TL bank.

As this plan states, it sounds like it’s either 3, 4, or 6 months to have guest pass status and earn L1.

If you can’t earn it in that amount of time, or you have bills that are blocking your path, you are sunk. No matter how much you are value aligned.

Now it sounds like there’s a plan to use some seasonal budgets for extreme situations, but, it doesn’t sound like there’s a set in stone plan to help folks like yourself… right. Now.

@Icedcool @Jengajojo @patrickworkman please correct me, or tear this apart if you’d like, I’m trying to understand this myself.

I just got enough money to earn L1. Ironically, I did this because of my IRL job, but I’d say there’s a bit of assistance from contributing to bdao as well, as a guest passer. At face value, im less of a fan of this idea without some serious checks

I would vote yes IF there were a few things:

1. A clear cut “mission” from the DAO suggesting whether the DAO is essentially looking for volunteers to work towards the cause, whether the cause is “you can start earning once you earn L1 status (which isn’t that bad!) or accountability regarding the focus of the DAO (we’re not going to say that this is decentralized, because this whole process isn’t as decentralized as we think)

2. A scholarship or grant process for people to apply to, and perhaps governance or grants committee can decide if they give away this scholarship (I would say it would have to be a probably a max of 10k to make this not be a free for all or a second coming of the airdrop)

3. This TLBANK idea is great, but it doesn’t sound like it’s actually solving people who were using bank for income (unless you incorporate option 1 or 2 into this)

The problem we have is that there were articles like

And this:

https://www.bankless.com/how-to-get-paid-by-daos

That have boxed the DAO into a bit of a whole. We’re still not talking about compensation, which we need to discuss. I’ve noticed a lot of L2 contributors that had to drop down to guest pass. Is the answer to cut those people off? (So to speak)

So I suppose the clarification, and understanding of everyone in this DAO (even the guest passers). Would make me less concerned and more accepting about this plan. Something defintiely needs to be done. I’m just thinking this plan isnt there yet.

I intentionally didn’t include that, because earning a token that has a variable valuation in the native asset you have to transact in is risky, and isn’t necessarily a positive.

An important point with the DAO is, contribution doesn’t mean employment.

Employees are qualified contributors who have quality standards applied to their work, and for their contribution they get income.

At the DAO, anyone can contribute but that does not always equate to compensation because that contribution has to be needed by the DAO or org units.

Ideally no!

Most importantly, this model is requesting EVERYONE value SOME degree of their BANK, because that is the governance and blood of the DAO, while also respecting their circumstance.

We certainly don’t want to lose people for circumstance AND acknowledging DAOing is hard, crypto is hard, and there are risks associated to that. This is for everyone to decide for themselves based on their circumstance how they can and want to be involved.

Thus the 3-4 months (or whatever we decide) guest pass period for the DAO, and then a boundary.
And current plan is to allow earning of BANK for any contributor, although some org units may have more unique earning designs.

The aim with all of this, is the DAOs sustainability, which is more important than any one individuals needs from the the DAO.

Right now, we have a minimal value accrual model back to the DAO, despite all the perks that the DAO provides. Some units create more value and return some of that to the DAO. Some don’t.
This model is unsustainable.

This guest pass revision (and Tokenomics 1.0) creates a system that creates a floor for value accrual while still allowing for permissionless/unqualified but value aligned contribution so that the DAO can thrive in the long term.

More to go, but it is a beginning.

2 Likes

This is what needs to be clarified, and it needs to be acknowledged that there is a difference between what was considered in the bull market and a what’s considered now, in the bear market.

Many people, have seemingly come to this DAO as a form of employment. The DAO is not a “legal entity” so that is a problem of course regarding compensation, but now the answer has to be how to balance this. This could be the answer with the grants idea, but the unfortunate thing is that if you don’t have that plan, you may have no choice but to lose these contributors.

My point is this. This plan is telling people without telling people where the DAO has to execute on their mission, and how.

A better move is to flat out say “we don’t have runway like we did, and people have had guest passes for longer than we first realized, so we have to start cutting back. This plan doesn’t seem to come right out and say it.

It may hurt a while, but people feel would feel respected.

you may initially lose contributors. Perhaps you won’t in the long run.

Perhaps another idea is this:

For those members who have been using this as income, help them (like TRULY help them) find another place to contribute and earn money, funds, whatever. That way, you can help them, and they can come back as L1s, and be less stressed about trying to earn.

I see what you are saying, I just think this is a weak first start without having a plan. That’s why I say what I’ve said above.

If this is the way people want to try and sustain, without protecting those billion people who are going bankless, it’s not the mission that I first saw 2 years ago when I wandered into this DAO.

I agree, things need to be done. But this isn’t it.

I encourage the RG to conduct this research and present a report. If it happens, it will be the first time in the history of the DAO that RG has produced a report for DAO governance.

I do support the scholarship program and I am happy to present a draft if the folks who have voted no will change their vote to yes or abstain. I would like to invite everyone who is not in favor of this proposal to join us in the weekly gov. dept sync where we can address this issue as a DAO. Otherwise I see many no voters who never bother to participate in governance, but as soon as a proposal comes to stop giving them BANK they are here to click on the no button -_-

Finally, the DAO never promised compensation to anyone in order to help them live, folks can receive gov tokens for their contribution and if folks want to use it to subsidise their lively hood it is their choice, but not the responsibility of the DAO. The DAO compensates folks in gov power and that is the purpose of having a DAO structure.

3 Likes

I know you’re frustrated. We can work on this and present it to you. Perhaps at that point you can represent this proposal. Or I’ll chat with @defibeats and see what we can do there.

I understand how you feel. I understand your frustration . I’ve had issues with people voting then dissapearing. Let’s invite every person to a gov meeting, or perhaps you can come to meetings and discuss the problems you’re facing.

I’ll say it again. A change needs to happen with guest passes. Clearly. If people TRULY want to help, but can’t afford it, then let there be a scholarship to help them. Let the tlBANK idea happen,

But a change also needs to be considered in the ethos of the DAO. Make it clear that this DAO is less on the mercenary side. And more on the missionary side, and all good. Because if you make it clears (like I believe @Icedcool has mentioned) the consistent deluge of bank isn’t sustainable, then everyone can help figure out what to do.