Cleaning Up Discord

Author: Ella Dane (Ella Dane#0382)

Date Published: June 29, 2022

TL:DR

BanklessDAO has several redundant and unused channels which leads to confusion and noise.

These channels need to be condensed or archived.

This post is a poll from the Ops Guild to grant permission to simplify the discord.

Proposition

The posts in the channels #no-stupid-questions, #ask-a-mentor, and #support largely overlap in content. These channels have the following channel descriptions:

• #no-stupid-questions - “Think you have a dumb question? You and probably 100 others. Ask away!”
  • #ask-a-mentor - “Learn from the experts! Ask about crypto or NFTs or DAOs.”
  • #support - “Problem?”

To condense and clean up bDAO’s Discord, it makes sense to archive both #ask-a-mentor and #support, and move #no-stupid-questions to the Welcome category (so people without Guest Passes can access it).

• Agree
  • Needs revision - comment below
  • Disagree - comment below

0 voters

#dao-intros is redundant with #get-involved. The content of posts in both of these channels is similar. #get-involved is a more inviting intro name and seems to have more of a networking vibe, so #dao-intros should be archived.

• #get-involved is meant to be used for newcomers requesting a guest pass
    • “Want to get involved in the DAO via a Guest Pass? Start with First Quest in the #verification channel, then tell us how you can contribute.”
  • #dao-intros is meant to be used for Guest Passes to introduce themselves
    • “Who are you? Why are you here? What do you like to do? Tell us about your skills and what you think you can contribute to BanklessDAO.”
  • Agree

0 voters

The ask-a-mentor-voice channel is rarely used and should thus also be archived.

• Agree

0 voters

#courtyard (description: “General chat for members without the requisite BANK”) is not needed. Members of Bankless can access #DAO-general and other general chats. Non-members rarely use the channel and it is good to encourage getting a Guest Pass which is needed to access other channels.

• Agree

0 voters

5 Likes

I love this.

Character limit.

3 Likes

Great stuff. Let’s make it happen.

3 Likes

Rocking it Ella, thank you.
Simplicity, clarity.

2 Likes

I agree with everything. I’d only modify the first proposition and make the channel be called #questions-and-support.

The rest is great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome I love this too. Was just thinking recently I would be more involved with Bankless if Discord wasn’t such a mess to look at.

2 Likes

Looks great @Ella.Dane, thanks for putting this together. :clap::clap: Think we’ll take care of this at the thursday ops working sesh

2 Likes

Thanks @Ella.Dane
Yes all the way :+1:

2 Likes

sweetness - thanks nerd!

Agree with most of the ideas. As a new L1 here, my personal experience here is that I prefer to see a more private place to #ask-a-mentor by texting, more like a focus group neither DM nor fully public. let’s say, #no-stupid-questions may be a place more suitable for Guest Pass holders & newcomers, and a #ask-a-mentor texting channel may become a place to meet and chat with a mentor& other new L1s casually. I know a joining session may help, but that is another level of networking and onboarding, besides I need to wait for about 7days to join a session.

@Ella.Dane
implemented:
poll (1) :white_check_mark:
poll (2) :white_check_mark:
poll (3) :white_check_mark:
poll (4) :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

I have never been more supportive of something. This is great!

1 Like

thank you thank you :pray:

Great initiative! Streamlining a massive Discord is always needed

I see that I am very late to this, and I believe some of it have been actioned already :confused:

A couple of disagreements I have:

#support: this is where I go specifically for discord-related tech support on bDAO. Eg. I deselected ‘Writers Guild’ from my role-select, but it still showed on my roles, leading me to continued role tag notifications (despite my non-involvement in WG). I went to #support and @brianl helped me with it. The channel has come to use a few times for me, and don’t view the other 2 channels (#no-stupid-questions and #ask-a-mentor) to be in the category as #support. I think the channel is needed.

#dao-intros: while I agree that this could be redundant, the only problem with archiving the channel is that you would essentially be deleting a history of one of the first messages of 100s if not thousands of either currently or once active bDAO contributors, which is sad.

1 Like

#dao-intros: while I agree that this could be redundant, the only problem with archiving the channel is that you would essentially be deleting a history of one of the first messages of 100s if not thousands of either currently or once active bDAO contributors, which is sad.

@salmanneedasjob wrt this at least, archiving means we save a copy of all messages from that channel in our notion so they’re not lost. much more difficult to get to, but not gone forever at least.

Thanks for the clarification. Saving them on Notion is helpful as a backup. However, I don’t see that coming to use, unless you are doing some kind of a deliberate investigation / research on a member. The ideal way to access this information would be in its current state which is by sort by old when looking up a discord user. Perhaps I may be coming off as stalker rn, lol, but I do look folks up when doing research for Making Bank podcast, which, sure I guess one can look into the notion and see if the user has ever left an intro over there.

I see that the #dao-intros channel has currently moved to an Archive-Parking-Lot category. I would still ask to keep the channel may be permanently around over there, as a snapshot of year 1 of DAO introductions :innocent: Asking for too much? :grimacing:

great,
also consider pruning #top-signals #degen-corner #defi-alpha and #giveaways people are generally using #perks general and #airdropstation

1 Like