Title: Discord Reorganization
Authors: aditi#3821, frogmonkee#6855, cryptodad🏴#5814
Date Created: 12/08/2021
Date Posted: 12/12/2021
With Bankless DAO growing and the number of channels on Discord hitting the maximum limit, this proposal introduces
- A channel limit for each guild and project category within Bankless DAO discord.
- Pre-defined channels across all guilds and projects.
- Specific branches to be added as threads within a guild or project channels moving forward.
- Move all Geography channels to Threads.
Original Forum Post: BDAO Discord Re-organization 2.0
1. Setting a channel limit
Given the 500 channel limit within discord, Ops Guild is introducing a cap on the number of channels each Guild and Project category can have.
This will ensure there is room for projects to create their own categories (we’ve added 12 this season).
PS - When creating new categories, please follow this guide: How to Create a New Discord Category
Naturally, a cap on channels will limit coordination capabilities for each guild/project. In this case, Ops Guild will provide guidance on how to best use threads, as voted upon in the initial forum post (step 3). This will reduce the need for channels since each guild and project can use threads for dedicated space for specific tasks, discussion, and additional communication. Pros of threads:
- These aren’t counted towards the maximum channel limit.
- There can be a maximum of 1000 threads within a channel.
- If there is no communication on a thread, it will automatically archive after 1 week. These archived threads can be unarchived whenever needed.
Proposed channel limits:
For Guilds: 6 total (5 text channels + 1 voice channel)
For Projects: 5 total (4 text channels + 1 voice channel)
This is only if guilds/projects need the channels. If you can make do with 3 text channels, then please do so. (Please note that voice channels count towards the 500 channel limit.)
2. Pre-defined channels
We also want to introduce pre-defined channels for projects and guilds, which will be the same across all guilds and projects to maintain a consistent workflow across the DAO. These are already set up in guilds and a few projects and can make discord a bit less intimidating.
Proposed Predefined channels:
For Guilds: 2 pre-defined text channels (guild-start-here, guild-general) and a voice channel
For Projects: 2 pre-defined text channels (project-start-here, project-general) and a voice channel
Within each start-here channel, projects/guilds can list the active threads in which coordination happens (see Guidance on Thread Best Practices)
With a wide range of work being done within each guild and project, there will be flexibility for guilds to add 3 text channels and for projects to add 2 channels that they feel is required. Plus there can be threads within each channel.
3. Guidance on Thread Best Practices
- Please read this guide on how to set up a Discord thread.
- Another best practice to consider here is that threads that will be frequently trafficked and desire visibility, to include them in the #start-here channel for that category, like so:
4. Move Geography Channels to Threads
With dozens of geography channels, Ops Guild will move them to threads instead and create a single #geography-start-here channel with an index of threads. The category will no longer be gated either.
If agreed, the guilds and projects should start discussions about reorganizing the channels (in addition to the predefined channels, if passed) within their category and figure out what threads should be within those channels. If they prefer their current workflow, they can refer to current channels and create active threads for them. If they wish to introduce a new workflow for the new season, they can decide accordingly.
Please note that channel data does not transfer into threads. Any important pinned posts and links must be backed up and re-pinned in the newly created threads.