International Media Nodes (IMN) are non-English Bankless channels that spread the message of the Bankless movement to all parts of the world through digital media tools such as (but not limited to) social media, substack, youtube, podcasts
The goal of this project is
- Generate a wider, multi-lingual audience for the bankless mission & vision
- Engaging bDAO contributors in a productive way as well as generating new contributors for local nodes and bDAO
- Helping entrepreneurial contributors/node operators to bootstrap their local nodes
More information can be found here
In the previous seasons, many contributors started their own media channels in local languages (without clear guidance) out of a desire to spread the Bankless message to a new audience. Those channels received decent growth and support from the local language communities and wider support from the crypto community in the form of Gitcoin grants and sponsorships
In S2, we aim to empower more contributors to start nodes in their own languages and grow the multi-lingual audience base for the Bankless mission.
The IMN project strengthens the vision of the DAO to bring the next billion people into crypto by opening up the content to non-English speakers. The IMN project operates in coordination with the other guilds of the bDAO and aligns its actions and material produced, with the common goals set through the Bankless community.
The project aims to support local nodes in their growth process by providing clear KPIs and an IMN coordinator (already in guild budget) to act as a liaison between the nodes and bDAO.
Each language node has a champion elected who will be the point of contact between bDAO and the local node operations and contributors. The champion is ideally someone with an entrepreneurial spirit/background. Each node will have to fulfill certain KPIs in order to receive funding.
In the beginning, each node will have to set up a social media page, post at least 5 posts about the Bankless mission/crypto as well as a substack page with a post explaining the Bankless mission and vision.
Each node that fulfils this KPI will receive a grant of 20000 BANK at the end of the first month (October) to continue with their activities of growing the channel for the next month
Each node will publish at least 1 newsletter each week for their community on substack and share it on their social media page. The node can decide the details of the newsletter from the following three criteria
- Any one of the bDAO newsletter
- Any one of the HQ newsletter
- Own newsletter which is a mashup of bDAO/HQ newsletters
Each node will receive 1000 BANK for completing this KPI and will be paid out at the end of the month. (1000 BANK/week x 4) = 4000 BANK/node/month
a. Nodes that are starting from scratch
- Will receive 16000 BANK at the end of their first month of operations (November) if they are able to accrue at least 50 audience* members to the channel. The grant is paid out at the end of the month.
- Will receive 16000 BANK at the end of their second month of operations (December) if they are able to accrue at least 100 audience* members to the channel. The grant is paid out at the end of the month.
b. Nodes that have more than 100 audience* members will receive grants based on the following criteria
- 20% monthly growth = 16000 BANK
- 15% monthly growth = 12000 BANK
- 10% monthly growth = 8000 BANK
- 5% monthly growth = 4000 BANK
c. Nodes that have more than 2000 audience* members will receive grants based on the following criteria
- 10% monthly growth = 16000 BANK
- 7.5% monthly growth = 12000 BANK
- 5% monthly growth = 8000 BANK
- 2.5% monthly growth = 4000 BANK
*Audience refers to total followers+subscribers across the entire channel stack
Disclaimer: The KPI3 stats are inspired by BanklessBrasil’s growth trajectory (stats here). It is observed that it takes time to build the first 100 audience members and the growth rate is high till then, after which the growth tapers down to single-digit week-over-week growth.
- Each language champion is responsible for updating their stats to the IMN Database
- The stats should be updated on the last day of the month
- The IMN Coordinator is responsible for maintaining the IMN database and adding stats on behalf of nodes who are MiA
- The max budget for each node for this season is 60000 BANK = (20000 startup costs + 8000 newsletters + 32000 performance)
- The nodes are entitled to make their own decisions on how to grant money is spent
- There are a total of 11 nodes participating in this season, hence the requested funding amount is 660000 BANK
At the end of each month, the IMN coordinator will provide a list of node wallet addresses with the amount to be paid(based on the KPI fulfillment of each node), to the Grants Committee. The IMN project team can request lower payment for nodes who are unable to fulfil KPIs but still have shown progress.
- if a node meets KPI1 by October 30th, it will receive 20k by the beginning of November for operations in November irrespective of when the node started its operations.
- More nodes can join the project during the season, in this case, a new grant application will be made for those nodes during the season.
- Bankless Africa node is being developed and run by another crew and is not involved in this project
- Yes, take it forward
- No, needs more work