Seasonal Meta-governance delegation to DAOStewards.eth

Summary:

This proposal seeks to renew DAOStewards as the official meta-governance group of BanklessDAO for Season 9, enabling the BanklessDAO Vault Multsig to delegate eligible governance tokens to DAOStewards upon request. DAOStewards will report back to the DAO at the end of each season and propose to renew the delegation.

Background:

Bankless DAOStewards is a meta-governance group formed in late 2022, with the goal of representing BanklessDAO in the governance of other DAOs. Through effective governance, the reputations of DAOstewards and BanklessDAO grows, which translates into revenue for BanklessDAO and its projects.

Since inception, we have helped BanklessDAO and its projects earn over 130,000 OP via Optimism, claim 701,275 Collab.Land tokens, and have otherwise helped steward $30,000 to DAO-related projects and affiliated contributors via public good projects such as Gitcoin, DAO Drops, and clr.fund.

We hold delegated voting power from both the Vault and the DAOā€™s contributors, and have actively participated in the governance of multiple DAOs, including Optimism, Arbitrum, Safe, and Uniswap. Our voting rate remains over 80% and we always communicate our voting rationale via our Notion page.

Mission & Values Alignment:

DAOStewards have a proven track record of helping BanklessDAO projects earn revenue, thus enabling contributors to be focused on the mission of helping the world #goBankless.

We lead with Bankless, our members are among the most value-aligned contributors in the DAO. In the coming season we will incorporate tlBANK as a requirement for our governors, thus further aligning our relationship with BanklessDAO and its values.

Scope of Work:

In practise this will have the following implications:

• If ratified, DAOStewards will receive delegation of all delegatable governance tokens for Season 9.

• DAOStewards will regularly report its voting activity and other wins during the weekly Community Calls.

• DAOStewards will post a report of its activities at the end of each season and seek renewal of delegation from the DAO.

• If the proposal gains consensus on Forum, DAOStewards will receive delegation of all possible governance tokens for S9 and the consequent implementation will be included in the seasonal spec subject to community approval each season

• DAOStewards will incorporate tlBANK into its membership and compensation structure.

Financial Implications:

There are no immediate costs associated with this proposal.

Success Metrics or KPIs:

• Revenue raised for BanklessDAO and its projects
  • Voting weight

Next Steps:

• Collect feedback and seek consensus

Squad Background:

Current active contributors of DAOStewards include:

Baer.eth : L2 member, Project champion: Bankless wallet, active governor at SAFE, 1inch

Links: L2 member, Project champion: Bankless Card, active governor at SAFE

HiroKennely: L2 member, Project Champion: Bankless Publishing, active governor at Optimism, A

Thinkdecade: L2 member, Project champion: Bankless Africa, Active governor at Optimism, SAF

LiviuC: L2 member, Active governor at Arbitrum

Jengajojo: L2 member, Project Champion: IMN, Global Events, DAOStewards, Governance Dept coordinator, Active governor: SAFE, Optimism, Arbitrum, Gitcoin, 1inch, AAVE, VITA

POLL

• Approve
  • Abstain
  • Reject
0 voters
2 Likes

I have voted in favour, but would like it to be clear what consensus mechanism is in place here.

Is there a quorum requirement on this vote, and what is the approval threshold?
Thank you.

1 Like

Iā€™m waffling on my vote because Iā€™m still not sure how auto delegation would work best in such a large org aside from the typical solving apathy.

Are DAOstewards going to change season by season?

Are there opportunities for members who have not had the chance to learn about delegation and how to be a proficient delegate to participate?

This proposal will follow the usual quorum guidelines. The seasonal updates will be part of the seasonal project grant requests which will be subjected to temp check and GC review followed by token holder vote inside the seasonal spec.

We keep a tab on active and inactive members and this is reflected in our seasonal compensation. There is no term limit at the moment.

We are always open and actively looking for new members to join the squad. Anyone can join our public meetings, contribute to decision making and proposal writing and earn their way to becoming a L2 and thus qualify for becoming a DAOSteward.

I donā€™t believe this answers my question, because ā€˜the usual quorum guidelinesā€™ donā€™t apply to this proposal. This is not a bDIP nor a grant proposal, so which quorum guidelines do you plan to use as evidence this proposal has been ratified?

As this is not a grant proposal, it is not appropriate that future renewals are sought and voted on through the seasonal grants process. For one thing, the seasonal project grant requests are not the same as the seasonal spec so this answer is contradictory, but regardless, this does not fit either of those categories.

Also, I missed this the first time I read it, but Iā€™d also like to better understand what is meant by these two statements:

• If ratified, DAOStewards will receive delegation of all delegatable governance tokens for Season 9.
  • If the proposal gains consensus on Forum, DAOStewards will receive delegation of all possible governance tokens for S9 and the consequent implementation will be included in the seasonal spec subject to community approval each season.

What is the definition of ā€œdelegatable governance tokensā€?
What is meant by ā€œdelegation of all possible governance tokens for S9ā€?

We must not be complacent about the need for clarity and precision in proposals, so these statements are concerning to me. Iā€™m changing my vote to Reject as Iā€™m not comfortable with what appears to be a case of making up the parameters as we go. I stand by my comments on the earlier proposal: that DAOstewards should seek the communityā€™s approval for each and every token delegation it wishes to put into effect.

There should be term limits due to the nature of the ask that you are looking for. This is a matter of giving cartĆ© Blanche for all delegation with no guard rails for complacency, and no criteria of adding members (L2s have been banned from the DAO). There should at least be some sort of election process, even if itā€™s for a season, a year, or anything.