cNPS Survey Results - Season 6 Month 1

Analyst & Author: Ella Dane (Ella Dane#0382)

Date of survey: November 16, 2022

Date of publication: November 24, 2022

Previous Surveys can be found in this table

This analysis pertains to the survey of BanklessDAO members taken during the Coordinape period ending November 16, sampling 61 Guest Pass holders, 40 L1 contributors, and 80 L2 contributors for a total sample size of 181 members.

** see bottom of document for explanation about Community Net Promoter Scores (cNPS)

TL;DR

BanklessDAO achieved a cNPS of 37, a 9 point decrease from the October score.

This month marks the one year anniversary of this survey (whoop whoop!!), so we’ll take a peek at the year’s trends.

Community Net Promoter Score Summary

bDAO’s NPS

This month’s score, 37, marks the lowest cNPS recorded since we began measuring 12 months ago. A significant part of this is owed to current market conditions. (Although I must note that cNPS scores last May & June around the Terra Luna crash were 52 & 55 respectively.)

This is one of the many things that makes bDAO so unique: the resilient community. The DAO is buzzing, bull or bear. Our community is our greatest asset - we must never forget this.

A total of 181 bDAO members responded to our survey, a decrease of 44 participants since the last survey. Of these, 13% were counted as Detractors.

A quick analysis indicates that Guest Passers and L2s showed a material decrease in satisfaction with the DAO, while L1s indicated a material increase in satisfaction.

Our L2s recorded the lowest satisfaction with a score of 30.

Quantitative Results:

A year in review

Yearly stats:

(Note: @Brustkern started measuring bDAO’s L1 & L2 cNPS in November ‘21, but this chart compares December ‘21 (when Guest Pass cNPS was also measured) with November ‘22.)

Since last December (close to the peak of the bull market), overall cNPS is down 31 points & Coordinape participants are down 24%.

Top contributor concerns by month:

December ‘21: confusion/messy Discord server

January: onboarding

February: coordination across the DAO

March: low contributor engagement

April: tokenomics & compensation

May: tokenomics & compensation

June: tokenomics & compensation

July: tokenomics & compensation

August: the slow pace for for improvements in bDAO

September: unorganized Discord & Notion

October: tokenomics & compensation

November: low/no BANK utility

→ Tokenomics & compensation is the most consistent concern. However, in the S4M3 cNPS Survey Results, respondents indicated that are willing to contribute to bDAO regardless of how much they are compensated, even if they depend on the compensation to cover cost of living. Shocking. I triple checked my calculations because I couldn’t believe it.

Top contributor praise themes by month:

December ‘21: community

January: N/A (didn’t ask this question)

February: community

March: community

April: community

May: community

June: community

July: community

August: community

September: community

October: community

November: community

→ Companies would pay millions for the above results. Organic, unshakable community.

About this analysis:

@Brustkern started this cNPS analysis in November '21 and I (@Ella.Dane) took it over in April.

Every month, I craft questions for the monthly DAO-wide Coordinape survey, hand-sort through every response, group responses by theme (ie governance issues) & level (ie Guest Passer) & NPS category (ie Promoter). I analyze, calculate, connect, and pull out key findings, which I use to create this write up.

The purpose of this survey is to gain insight on happenings within bDAO & its community in order to improve contributor experience and overall operations of the DAO. The analyses I post here are digestible & crisp for your convenience.

Contributors respond to this survey are on a decently consistent basis (see the chart below), meaning we can more accurately track changes in sentiment.

Sources:

Unattributed NPS scoring sheet source is here

Confidential GUEST PASS responses here (restricted access)

Confidential LEVEL ONE responses here (restricted access)

Confidential LEVEL TWO responses here (restricted access)

Synthesis Scratch Pad here (restricted access)

About Net Promoter Scores:

The Net Promoter Score (NPS) is a well-regarded methodology for quantifying the whether a brand delivers on its promise. The standardized form of NPS reads as follows: “On a scale of 1-10, how likely would you recommend X to a friend or colleague?”

In our case, X = “working for BanklessDAO”

The results of an NPS survey can be quantified in a score that ranges from negative 100 to positive 100. Depending on the topic, brand, industry, etc., a “good” score can range anywhere from +0 to +40 and beyond.

Wikipedia discussion of NPS

Lattice discussion of eNPS

In our case, we are measuring “cNPS” which we cleverly coined to mean Community NPS. While there is no clear community standard yet, I believe cNPS relates closely to eNPS (Employee NPS). As for how to interpret the score, according to Jennifer Willy, Editor at Etia.com, “anything above zero is generally acceptable… Generally, a score between 10-30 is considered good while anything near 50 is excellent.”

12 Likes

Another great synthesis of bDAO sentiment, @Ella.Dane. I couldn’t have handed this off to a more dedicated and thoughtful individual. Thank you for your persistence! Steady as a rock.

I’m downright proud to see how well bDAO sentiment has held up despite the storms around us. The commitment of our contributors is impressive indeed.

If you’re contributing now – if you’re sticking with us in this moment – you’re an OG forever.

6 Likes

Hey @Ella.Dane - Shawn16400 here from Gitcoin - and @feems thanks for sending me the link!
I am interested in your overall response rate on this survey. I think you said your sample size was 181 - meaning you sent this survey to 181 people, and your response rate was 181 responses back. Giving you an overall response rate of 100%. Is that accurate, or did some people not respond?

btw - love the use of the NPS and mapping it to cNPS - a great use of reapplying something that works and making it our daOwn.

2 Likes

Hey Shawn - Thanks for the question. This survey is sent out to everyone in BanklessDAO. Contributors who wish to sign up for our monthly DAO-wide Coordinape round for a chance to earn additional compensation fill out a survey that asks for the wallet address they want the tokens to be sent to, as well as additional quantitative and qualitative questions I craft. This round, 181 people signed up for the Coordinape round and therefore the survey has 181 responses.

Also - great to have you here! Welcome!!

got it - so part of signing up for the Coordinape circle includes taking the survey? That is pretty darn smart :slight_smile: So I can get a guess at the response rate, about how many active members do you have?

that’s a fantastic question. it depends on what you define as “active.”

I’d say the Coordinape probably gives a reasonable estimate of active contributors. Some people choose not to participate in the Coordinape, others miss the rounds, and some join the rounds when they really haven’t been contributing all that much.

According to this page, 252 people sent 3+ messages and/or spoke in the bDAO Discord last week.

So if you compare the survey respondents to this number, that would be a 72% response rate.

hey this is cool. great to see that we have NPS metrics now.

2 Likes

@shawn16400 whoops, forgot to tag you in my last response. just wanted to make sure you saw it :slight_smile:

1 Like