Governance Election: Season 8 - Grants Committee Election Submission

All the way ser, looking forward to the good work :rocket:

1 Like

I intend to make sure that the decisions made by the GC, are made known to members of the DAO to ensure a coherent relationship and understanding. I also intend to listen to opinion of members of the DAO as regards funds disbursement and revenue generation as this will help ensure an all inclusive GC administration.

I will step down as a member of the ombuds. I have already tend my resignation statement in our private group and will also do so in the ombuds general for accountability and transparency.

I wonā€™t do this alone as the GC is a team. So I will ensure as much as possible that important decisions made by the GC are Visible to members of the DAO in the appropriate bDAO server channels.

1. Discord handle:
    Daolexa#0001

2. Reason for applying:
    I would like to join GC and utilize my knowledge and skills to help build efficient internal processes and procedures, with the main focus on establishing governance framework that is transparent and accessible to everyone. My goal is to promote transparency and cohesion within GCā€™s operations, ensuring they are supportive of the guilds and aligned with the DAOā€™s mission. Given GCā€™s pivotal role within the DAO, I am convinced that itā€™s essential for both GC and the DAO to have streamlined and transparent operations that run smoothly.

3. Qualifications:
    Experience working with DAOs and establishing frameworks for governance and operations, supporting with the legal and compliance aspect.
    Contributor in Legal guild as a Governance coordinator: established governance framework, helped establish processes, and supporting different initiatives in the Guild.
    Occasional contributor to the Gov dept.

4. Sponsors:
    @Jengajojo @hirokennelly @Eagle @NFThinker

6 Likes

I am glad you finally applied @DAOlexa

I am sure the GC process will improve with you as a part of it

3 Likes

Excited for you! Glad you are running!

Time for questions!

Funding is a big issue these days with bDAO. Out of the experience above (which is nothing to sneeze at) what experience ties to treasury management?

Do you have a goal with respect to the framework? What is your plan for promoting transparency? Same here with respect to cohesiveness. What are your plans? Strategy, etc?

1 Like

@homie maybe we should host a ā€˜Meet your GC candidateā€™ secession/ round table on one of the CCs. it would make real sense if we have more qualified candidates than the available seats

and all the OGs in bDAO should take this as a call to action to put their application up!

3 Likes

Great to see you applying! I feel like your deep understanding of DAOs and your experience in legal will be a major advantage and will serve bDAO well.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great idea, though that would mean that we have to:

1. Set the minimum requirements a candidate should have (eg. in the Legal guild, the Legal coordinator must be a legal professional; Governance coordinator has to be a Legal professional + has to have exp doing governance).
  2. Needs to be unifies structure and approach so the candidates are assessed equally, and no bias involved.
  3. Ask for track record of contributions made, and that are relevant to the role in the GC.
2 Likes

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Of course, happy to answer them:

1. I have experience with setting up structures, framework, supporting ops development based on which the treasury is to function. Combined with the expertise of the people who have more specific treasury management, itā€™s a win-win combo.

2. I am aware of the funding issue that the bDAO is experiencing, and have experienced it with the Legal guild, and that is my driver to apply for the role. As someone who had direct experience of the funding and transparency issues of the GC, I do have very concrete ideas on what should be done to start addressing some of the GC challenges.

• edited to be more specific: I dont think the DAO has any insight in how GC operates, the decision for granting funding or not is very subjective, and there is no really clear guidelines for the Guilds to follow to be eligible or not for funding. GC plays too important role in the DAO and the way it operates is unclear, quite centralized, and not as transparent. GC needs to improve its communication with the Guilds, and to be a helping hand to project and guide them on how to improve their funds management, rather than just deny them funding without too much explanation.
5 Likes

Itā€™s great that you are applying, IĀ“m sure BDAO will be amazed to have you in the GC, the work you have been doing for the past Seasons in the Legal Guild has been amazing!

1 Like

Discord handle

linksšŸ“#7868

Reason for applying

BanklessDAO continues to push forward, but during the bear market I have noticed some areas of improvement on our grants process:

• there seems to be an adversarial relationship between DAO units and the Grants Committee
  • there is a lack of clarity on the grants process
  • There is a ton of turnover on the GC (likely because thereā€™s no strong mandate and therefore no way to succeed).

I believe we need to make some changes to our grants process. If elected, I will be acting upon the following mandates:

• The GC is responsible for vetting and disbursing ALL bDAO grants (not just for projects, but for guilds and departments).
  • The GC should work to attract and retain quality contributors

Qualifications

• Iā€™m a 15-year veteran in the startup space, having cofounded 2 of my own companies as well as working at and advising many more.
    • Iā€™ve built teams to create award-winning products that service hundreds of thousands of daily users
    • I currently work as a startup advisor, coaching executives on how to create distributed teams
  • My specialty is new product development, including validation of new ideas and building sustainable execution teams.
    • Iā€™m an expert in agile project management, which could be used to great effect here in the DAO
    • Iā€™m also a seasoned software engineer, which helps when validating technical projects
  • 18-month member of BanklessDAO
    • L2 contributor
    • GC Lead for Season 4/5
    • Champion of Bankless Card
    • Founder of the PM Guild, Ops Dept contributor, Writers Guild contributor, Bankless Publishing Staff Editor, Bounty Board Core Contributor

Sponsor(s) (i.e., those who will second your nomination - the more the merrier!)

IcedcoolšŸ“#4947, montgomery#8177, p8ul.eth#1559, NF ThinkeršŸ“#2814, Trewkat#1933, Steff#7452

13 Likes

1.Discord handle: LiviuC#7835

2.Reason for applying:

I would like to take part of the GC team for the next 2 seasons.
In case I will be elected i will focus on the following:

a. I would like to contribute in creating an ecosystem for the DAO where GC team mandate will allow them can operating with clear rules for everyone involved in the DAO.
b. Put in place a structure that will be easy to follow/understand for Guilds/Departments/Projects.
c. Have a clear traceability of what grants has awarded and what benefits has the grants produced.

3.Qualifications:

I have been present in the DAO from Oct 2021 where I have been involved in number of Guilds that included, AV, Education, OPS, Translators, Legal and various workgroups/workstreams and projects. I would love to put to good use my skills and knowledge for other to benefit from it. I will try my best to do a good job in case of a successful election. Thank you for your vote of confidence!

4.Sponsor(s)
@links @brianl @AboveAverageJoe @Ornella @paulDE

8 Likes

I would be down for that. Iā€™ve got my questions cooking in the pot.

Liviu. The best thing I appreciate about you is your ability to tell it like it is. Iā€™m excited for you!

Iā€™ve got a question!

What are your suggestions for creating this ecosystem? Do you believe that a mandate is necessary in a DAO? Does that cause a risk of being too centralized? Why, or why not?

I believe you were successful in maintaining the DAO wide coordinape, which is nothing to pass over! What part of that experience can you bring to the GC?

Finally, as you can see, 1000 bank/hr is a big discussion, but driving revenue is a bigger discussion. What is your opinion on the current state of projects coming to the DAO, project spinning up in the DAO, and the future of revenue generation in the DAO?

Good luck to you!!!

All the best @links @LiviuC @Icedcool @0xbaer @Paulito @DAOlexa

5 Likes

Itā€™s important that you have decided to make a return to Grants Committee as you were a GC member for S4/S5.

I have a great appreciation for you. I thank you for your efforts.

That said, time for questions! (Iā€™m having fun :smiling_face:)

What is a good suggestion to help GC reach this goal of retaining quality contributors. How can this work, (I believe that it can) in the current market climate?

If anyone can multitask with the best of them, itā€™s you.

Do you feel that, considering the need for GC to likely have a bit of a refocus, you could, or should, focus your energy towards GC, or would you be able to have that same drive for GC (that I believe is desperately needed) while having a focus toward other projects including bankless card, bounty board, praise, etc?

I would love to see people more open to the idea that @Jengajojo has floating around the DAO about Quadratic Funding. I think this offers more less depending of a centralized component and could steering the DAO in a more decentralized way.

This is a very sensible topic as you can see in the DAO, but it has been brought up to light and itā€™s good that the DAO is discussing it and as a collective we can decide how we want to go forward with it. I, as anybody in the dao, has one voice and one vote in the end, but will be advocating for equality and fairness - always!

Thanks for the questions and for your wishes. bDAO strong!

1 Like

You bring awesome points.

Do you think it would be feasible to structure this ask the candidates in such a manner where the communities questions for this seasons election?

Ironically, I donā€™t really have a bias one way or another. I canā€™t afford to vote. Money is very tight for me right now.

But, i can afford to ask questions so Iā€™ll ask them

A few things are possible. Make it easier to be a contributor. Make it more fun. Compensate more for the work.

Iā€™d like to solidify the mandate (ie give the GC a strong purpose), create a process that reduces the burden on each individual GC (I rolled out a process in S4/5 that was changed in S6/7 and caused significant additional work), and increase the GC compensation (we are still paying for 13 weeks even though seasons are going to be 16 weeks).

I have a limited amount of time, so I had to step down as PM Guild Coordinator for S8 to make this work. The time commitment is roughly the same so hopefully itā€™ll be a wash.

1 Like