Bankless Discord Channel Code System
Squad: Above Average Joe (champion), angyts.eth, Bpetes
Date Created: 2021-10-28
Date Posted: 2021-11-19
This is a “Dewey Decimal System” for the DAO. It is intended to radically organize all the channels to make participation and navigation in the DAO far easier for all members, as well as create a standardized naming convention system for future scalability.
- Codify all channels with an alphanumeric code according to Classification, and Sub/Category to enable better organization and structure of the Discord community;
- Classifications: A-Z;
- Sub/Categories: A-Z;
- Channels: 00-99;
- Append the first two characters of the Classification and Category to the Discord Category name with an affix for easy reference;
- Append assigned 4-character codes to every channel in the Discord server;
Examples (sorry, no emojis in this example):
- Reorganize Discord Categories
- Split up some categories that can be grouped into new, more intuitive categories;
- Reorder Discord Category listings, grouped by their classifications;
- Organize Categories with ~10+ channels into coded Sub-Categories, grouped by relevant fields;
DAO-Wide Channel Code Standardization
Class Codes A-G = reserved for “Community Base” categories:
- Onboarding (First-Quest), Community Base, Community Calls, Members, General Chats;
Codes H-L = “Infrastructure & Operations” categories:
- Administrative, Legal, Public Relations, Dev & Ops;
Codes M-Q = “Intercollaborative & Support” categories:
- Data & Knowledge, Guild Support, Intercollaborative, Projects, Fight Club
Codes R-W = “Education & Services”:
- Education, Services, Translations, Global;
- Codes X-Z = reserved for System & Archive.
- Class Codes A-G = reserved for “Community Base” categories:
- Category Code A is reserved for the “top-tier” “base” category within a Classification, whenever possible, with the exception of categories under Class codes A-G.
- Channel codes 00-03 are reserved for “universal” guild channel codes:
* guild-start-here_aa00; * announcements_aa01; * calendar_aa02 (separate proposal to come); * general_aa03.
Back in mid-October (a month ago), as a relatively new user to Discord and a newly-minted (yes, I’m punny) guest of Bankless, after I finished the First-Quest, I found the community Discord channel list to be both overwhelming and confusing (read: mildly anxiety-inducing). There didn’t appear to be any kind of order, organization, or clear procedure on how to actually get started.
I got suuuper lost. And I know I’m not the only one.
With the rapid growth of the DAO, I couldn’t imagine how much more crazy it would be to navigate in just a few months. It’s fairly painful as it is, right now. It will be almost unrealistic down the road when Bankless reaches critical mass.
My proposal hopes to primarily target a fundamental onboarding and navigation issue that nearly all users (level members, and new guest-pass holders alike) seem to be plagued with, as well as an inherent scalability issue that exists with the DAO’s current community infrastructure.
Operating in tandem with the upcoming Sobol rollout, it will hopefully, honestly, just relieve a lot of pain & frustration for everybody.
MISSION & VALUES ALIGNMENT
The Bankless Discord Channel Code System may:
- Help make onboarding new guests and members friendlier to navigate the DAO slightly more intuitively, enabling a faster, more accessible path to participation;
- Increase ability for community to scale as the membership and projects continue to rapidly grow;
- Mitigate potential pain points for inter-guild collaboration & support by enabling quick-search in-channel code queries;
- Enable streamlined channel and role mapping for Dev/Ops projects, and for future community integrations, Sobol auto-population, etc.;
- Aid in increasing transparency as channels become archived - by adding context-at-a-glance, and maintaining linkages to the relevant Guild Category.
SCOPE OF WORK
Objectives & Goals
- Make navigating the ever-lengthening Discord channel list easier and more accessible by providing a vertical, text-based “map” of the DAO.
- Channel names don’t have to be as long in order to identify.
- Easier to search for channels by # .
- Channels become “machine-readable”;
- Easy to split off Channels into their own Sub-Category
- Completely scalable, allowing for up to 66,294+ potential Channels in the future.
i.e., Up to 99 Channels per category, 26 Categories per classification, and 26 Classifications.
- As an affix to the readable channel name, potentiality of lengthening code characters remains to be an option in the future, if/when the time arises.
- Primarily working from within the Ops guild, but also working with:
- Ops’ DAO-cartography;
- Renaming channels will not break existing queries. E.g., Degen, seshbot, etc.
- AAJ suggests implementation may require 1 special temporary Admin role to be created;
- All Discord Channel names will be affixed with an underscore, and the designated alphanumeric code:
_[Classification Code][Sub/Category Code][Channel Code]
- All Discord Categories names will affixed with their designated 2-character alphabetic code:
[ [Classification Code][Sub/Category Code] ]
- Some channels will be “split” from their existing Discord Categories and grouped into new Discord Categories;
- Guilds will need to further discuss and vote on how their guild’s channels can be ordered
- Estimated time to complete project: a single 6-hour session;
- First-Quest guild will have to introduce a new section to explain the code system.
SUCCESS METRICS OR KPIS
- Member feedback;
- Frequency and time spent to assist new members on navigating the discord and coaching them how to start participating;
- Time it takes for a Guest-Pass member from being granted their pass – to when they begin to contribute;
- Speed of general discord navigation user journey paths;
- Retrieve a full listing of the Discord server’s channels as a text file to begin code mapping;
- Individual guilds to discuss & vote on:
- Proposed channel renamings, if shortening current channel names;
- Possible sub-category channel grouping splits;
- The order in which they would like numeric Channel codes to be assigned.
- Post full listing of proposed changes to a new Notion proposal page, and gather DAO-wide consensus.
I am a general interdisciplinary designer, with my Diploma of Fine Arts in Digital Media and Public Art, as well as an Associates of Arts degree in Social Sciences. Where most of my history in that regard has been in visual art and visual design communications, I have had lifelong passions for Systems Design, UX design, Information Architecture, and Community-Building, among many, many other things. Though Design is mostly about practice and process, I really enjoy trying to develop solutions. I am passionate about contributing truly impactful value to communities, in whatever way I can, using my diverse skill set and unique perspective.
After spending a couple days working out my idea in Figma, I initially suggested my idea to the various random guilds (as I was still starting out, and wasn’t sure where to put it), and received a lot of positive feedback. With the support of AAJ, and NFThinker, and assistance of others in the Ops guild, I have pushed this project forward to now be discussed on Notion.
Figma working draft (read-only, sorry): Figma
Notion Proposal google doc: Discord Channel Code System - Google Docs
- Yes! Let’s finally make sense of the chaos!
- No, not yet - needs further improvement (comment below your thoughts)
- No. I live for eternal chaos & unending confusion, so everyone else should too.