Give Level 0s Read Access to Level 1 Channels

Title: Give Level 0s Read Access to Level 1 Channels
Read the proposal: N/A
Authors: @frogmonkee
Date: May 20th, 2021

SUMMARY

Change all Level 1 channels to read-only for Level 0s

BACKGROUND

Right now, Level 0s can only see the #start-here, #announcements, #join, #support, #FAQ, #defipedia-bot, #courtyard, #mentors, and #get-involved. They cannot see any others.

MOTIVATION

We have a ton of Level 0 volunteers that want to get involved and help, but we have closed access to where 99% of DAO activity occurs.

SPECIFICATION

Change all Level 1 channels to read-only for Level 0s

NEXT STEPS

• Soft consensus vote of 5:1 with at least 20 voters

CONCLUSION

POLL

• I agree
  • I disagree
  • Not all the channels

0 voters

I’m not sure this serves to solve the motivation listed. I’m probably fine with the transparency portion, but this wouldn’t really offer a good route for L0s to get involved.

Even if they were able to see messages/progress happening, they would only be able to reply in the L0 channels - and now their contribution is split to those channels or in someones DMs.

I much prefer an idea like a “guest pass” where promising upstarts can be given a temporary role in Discord to elevate to L1 status and make contributions without the need for BANK requirement.

Hopefully in S1+ we have more formal mechanisms for giving the 35k BANK required for that access.

2 Likes

I may have phrased it incorrectly. You’re right, this doesn’t get them engaged and +1 to the guest pass. This is primarily for transparency and lower the barrier to being part of the community, even without being a member.

Moving to archive. Unresolved.