[Season 3] BanklessDAO Gap week between Seasons

I would also love to see some bDAO holidays! Founders day in May as our “July 4th”? Or any other big moment of bDAO history. bDAO-specific holidays would be a fun way to build culture and community, especially since we all celebrate different holidays around the world. Could be fun to build and unite on some of our own traditions.

To take it one step further…I’d love to see each guild celebrating their own founders day! How fun would that be?!?

4 Likes

Easiest vote so far by a longrun! I am swedish tho and we do love our vacay :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Honestly and thinking out loud, I think operationally, nothing changes.

Projects request 13 weeks of funding, and GC will know informally that the 13th week is on the DAO.

2 Likes

This. Also bDAO parties on every solstice/equinox to start the holiday week!

3 Likes

100%, super fun!

And I think the gap week is just waiting for a fun name….

1 Like

Try it out. It may be hard for some people to stop based on where they are at in a project or how restless a person they are. But it could evolve the experience to find a better way.

2 Likes

This is also an excellent opportunity to engage an internal audit crew to sweep through the books for all guilds to to a “health and wellness” check. Common sense internal controls are the mark of a maturing organization… may even lead to development of a persistent BDAO independent audit guild… thoughts?

1 Like

@Gabion18 This is an interesting perspective. If we do start to have a much higher focus onto revenue generation and correct bank allocation, finding a way to perform an audit could be useful. I am not sure though that we need to do it within that week which I believe is meant as resting time. But still, having an audit process to review: how bank are spent, how far projects are going, DM random contributors to check if all is going well etc (will need a framework) this would be very beneficial. I would suggest to create a separate discussion for the audit team(guild???)

2 Likes

@nicoconi the reason I suggest that week is inspired by common rules for banks which require certain employees/positions to take 10 days of continuous, out-of-office vacation per year. This, theoretically, will facilitate discovery of possible fraud or malfeasance by employees covering their positions.

In an organization like ours - hugely cross-pollinated with payments going in all directions - it may be beneficial to leverage a moment when everyone is at an “all-stop” to check the interconnected elements. Think of it as auditing a shell game by lifting all the shells at once to ensure the pea is at least under one of them. To do otherwise it akin to lifting one shell during each turn of the game… less effective.

1 Like

This is seriously the most important proposal haha.

I’m starting to feel myself aging in this quantum speed crypto world. Some DAOholidays would be good.

Let’s call it “The Great Reset”

3 Likes

Hmm I voted yes but now reading the comments about the 13th week being paid I have some concerns. This would benefit role holders but many people in the dao are not role holders and would therefore not be compensated and in fact would be penalized or discouraged from working by the role holders. I understand where you’re coming from and I think this is important to figure out but If I can find a way to change my vote I would say this needs more thought. It would be a different story if we were on a ubi model dao wide but currently compensation is very different from guild to guild and project to project.

4 Likes

I am in favour of this initiative with one caveat: paying role holders creates a division between role holders and non-role holders.

It’s already very desirable to have a role: it’s the fastest way to accumulate BANK with less continual oversight than other forms of compensation (I.e bounties). At the same time, there is a general hesitancy to create new roles in some guilds I frequent.

This proposal will enrich role holders while reducing earning potential for piece work and bounties.

In general I’m not against paying people to take some time off, but I think we need to be careful of the “enrich roles” and “cap # of roles” thinking. I’d like to see some real thought put into the responsibilities of roles versus the authority/benefits they have (like paid time off). In general I think we need to increase role responsibility to offset for increased authority.

TBH I wonder if it would be better to give all active contributors the paid time off rather than just roles.

1 Like

Valid point, both @Soundman and @links.

So exploring some ideas:

• Defining contributors as members that have had any involvement, and then the DAO would compensate everyone to that end?

• No one gets paid for that week? (may lead to the week not happening…)

Could you say more on this?

1 Like

I think it could be an interesting way to experiment with ubi within the dao. Like you are saying we define a threshold of engagement and every member who passes that threshold gets an equal distribution of bank for that week. The difficult part would be defining that threshold and how to decide who meets it.

1 Like

I’d love to!

This proposal is all about sustainability or balance. What I’ve noticed when I’ve walked into teams that are working unsustainably is that there is an imbalance between authority and responsibility. If you have too much responsibility without authority, you can’t get your job done, which leads to stress. Too much authority without associated responsibility makes it easy to cause stress to the people around you.

French has 2 lovely words which capture this nicely - pouvoirs (things you can do, authorities, abilities), and devoirs (things you must do, responsibilities). I mention this because paid time off doesn’t SOUND like an authority in the English sense of the word, but when you think of it as something you CAN do (i.e. decide), then it’s clear it’s a pouvoir.

So what’s my solution? Associate every pouvoir (can do) with one or more devoirs (must dos) and vice versa. When you write this down, it could look something like this:

pouvoirs (can dos) devoirs (must dos)
Can take 1 week of paid time of between seasons
  • Must ensure all workflows are documented in the team Notion page
  • Must ensure no one is blocked while you’re gone
  • Must ensure your weekly tasks (i.e. meetings, status updates) are handled or deferred while you’re gone

That’s just a quick example, but essentially I asked myself: what needs to be done to ensure your teammates aren’t suffering from your vacation?

This exercise can be done for for roles in general (if you’re automatically getting paid, there are likely some accountability devoirs that should be attached). You can also do it the other way: for each devoir, what pouvoirs do you need to get the job done?

Why do I feel this is worthwhile? I’ve heard of some role abuse through the PLM group and in ombuds. I’m not sure how widespread this is (I haven’t encountered the issue personally), but it’s certainly concerning, ESPECIALLY if we are planning on beefing up the perks associated with roles.

Given that S3 is shaping up to be a governance check, it could be a perfect time to run an exercise like this.

3 Likes

@Icedcool will this proposal be reuploaded with the financial implications in the body of the post rather than in the comments? There is no way to change votes and I voted yes before reading the comments about the financial implications. If this passes as it stands right now I personally feel like it tarnished the integrity of our voting system because I voted without all of the information and when I realized the financial part I would 100% change my vote to a no. I do not think this proposal should be allowed to pass until the financial implications are in the body of the post and the vote redone.

We discovered more of the impact and implications of the gap week as the vote progressed, and I hear your call for a re-vote with more details so it is more comprehensive at least to the financials.

Probably have more options and specifics to it…
I think what is at least clear is that, we all want designated DAO downtime.

Reading your response here makes me thing this poll is now defunct?

Haha love the poem!

Yes maybe a step into the right direction would be to not pay paid roles every day of the week.
1000 BANK/h for one hour per day, every day. So I work every day. Sometimes it’s just that hour but well, oftentimes it’s more.

Wanted to bump this for awareness, and to acknowledge the points that @Soundman and @links have brought up, which are relevant and really important.

Personally, I think the encouragement towards taking a break and stepping away will be good for everyone and the DAO, even with the challenges brought up around this.

This GAP week will technically not be compensated because we have a gap between the season 4 start (April 8th) and when we are actually starting and kicking off s4 (April 29th).

The poem is still relevant :slight_smile:
Go get sunshine and sleep.
Those under eye bags getting too deep.

:muscle:

2 Likes