AV Guild Season 8 Funding Request

Authors; Editors: 0xZFi#4882
Date created:: April 5, 2023
Date posted: April 7, 2023
Affiliation: Design Guild, Marketing Department, Education Department
Funds requested: 344,560 BANK
Guild wallet: 0xE2D721c126150BeEE3C56A1AD71A2E0E29A411F0

SUMMARY

The AV Guild will be responsible for the management of the BanklessDAO YouTube channel (including quality control, uploads, and RSS data entry, etc) and will provide AV services (upon request, and according to a menu of rates) to other groups or members within the DAO.

The focus for Season 8 is talent development and retention.

Past Activities

The AV Guild faced a decline in membership and participation before Season 6, with little new talent joining since and a marked drop in demand for talent due to changes in funding and project structures. In response, the guild suspended two salaried roles during Season 6, focused on YouTube operations and recording services for other groups, and explored ways to conserve and optimize its BANK budget. To foster growth and development, the guild placed an emphasis on talent development and planned to reintroduce training classes in Season 7.

Season 7 Activities

Requests for services so far in Season 7 have been below expectations, but we have not had a request we could not cover. The Guild has committed to talent scouting, upskilling, and retention with an onboarding project in the second half of Season 7. Details are still in the works, but the goals are to bring new talent in and provide a mentoring and collaborative environment where participants can learn how to start their own AudioVisual projects or shows.

MISSION & VALUE ALIGNMENT

The AV Guild manages and curates the BanklessDAO YouTube. With well-updated, quality-produced content, we can reach more people with resources to help them go bankless.

The AV Guild can also be accessed for meeting recording, streaming, and other services. In this way, we can support efforts toward documentation, transparency, archival, and education.

If members are interested in developing their AV skills, training classes are offered to upskill and retain talent.

FUNDING REQUEST

Seasonal Guild Funding Calculation

Budget Item BANK
Seasonal Role Hours (4 role x 5 hours x 16 weeks) 320,000
Notion Administrator Role 16,000
Active Members (8 active members x 770 BANK x 16 weeks) 98,560
Total Season 8 Projected Expenses 434,560
Funding Request BANK
Total Season 8 Projected Expenses 434,560
Estimated end-of-Season 7 Balance 90,000
Season 8 Funding Request 344,560

Revenue Generation Model

The AV Guild began a revenue generation structure directed toward achieving self-sufficiency. A markup is added to the cost of labor when subgroups quote prices for AV services. The service fee, retained by the Guild, is used to cover future overhead expenses. By approaching revenue in this way, we can ensure that the Guild and its services are available for all DAO subgroups when needed, but also be better able to scale our expenses up or down with the actual demand for services.

Those looking to request AV services should visit the Notion page and fill out a request form. The menu of prices for services we offer is available there as well. Our basic meeting screen capture and recording service is only 1,250 BANK per hour of labor (up from 1,000 BANK per hour, due to the service fee). Groups may also choose to record audio-only themselves, for free, using our resident Craig bot. Instructions for how to use Craig are also available on our Notion page.

ACTIVE GUILD MEMBERSHIP

Definition of Active Member

An active member is one who has contributed to the Guild’s activities within the last season by holding and fulfilling a role, through completing bountied tasks, or by actively signing on the multisig.

Only active members of the Guild are eligible for compensation and Gulid-gated Sesh poll voting.

Active Member List

Member Guild or Department Affiliations
RedCrystalDragon🏴#4188 AV Guild, Design Guild
ZimTeemo#1909 AV Guild, Ops Dept
0xZFi#4882 AV Guild, Ops Dept, Education Dept
Tundeeey#9140 Marketing Dept, AV Guild, Ops Dept
Droste :black_flag:#0063 AV Guild, Making BANK Podcast
LiviuC#7835 AV Guild, Ops Dept, Bankless Loans
EurekaJohn#2094 AV Guild, CryptoSapiens
Liquidiot#5975 AV Guild, The Rug, WRRVS

NEXT STEPS

• Refine onboarding and upskilling plans for the remainder of Season 7
  • Continue training classes for those interested in learning AV tools
  • Plan a retro during Season 8 to adjust to DAO and market conditions at that time
4 Likes

Hi @0xZFi.eth great job on this proposal.
You are so right about this: [quote=“0xZFi.eth, post:1, topic:5382”]
With well-updated, quality-produced content, we can reach more people with resources to help them go bankless.
[/quote]
How are we currently using the content? Could we also be repurposing old content?

2 Likes

Did you have any specific content in mind?

Most of it is not reusable or is out of date.
Weekly Rollup recap has been being used by marketing guild so there has been some overlap there. Much of the content is produced by other guilds and projects so AV guild does not have direct access to the source files to share or work with.

Each project in conjunction with marketing guild could make more concerted efforts to engage across multiple platforms. This is how I treat my own content, creating media for various platforms and hitting them in a cadence. However, it is extremely difficult to do this across multiple guilds and departments especially with very little bounty budgets with which to incentivize work.

All that said, we are spinning up new initiatives to attract talent and produce quality content that helps not only educate, but motivate and inspire people go bankless.

1 Like

That helps with both! Thank you!!

1 Like

thank you for the proposal.

Marketing dept. is managing all bDAO social media channels, why is youtube seperated to A/V guild? Becoming a workstream under Marketing dept might cut costs from role holders, onboarding work etc.

about low demand to services from the DAO, some teams are bounty out meeting recording to their contributors, that is why they are not coming to ask your services. Instead of giving meeting recording and streaming services, it might be a better option to train contributors in those skills so they can grab recording bounties from their teams, decentralizing the work in the meanwhile. education is more in the scope of guilds than generating revenue.

This is my idea of “some guilds may get merged with some depts and we can save from operational costs” reflected to AV guild.

It has been so from the beginning of the DAO, to my understanding. When I initially joined the Guild in Season 4, the DAO’s YouTube was managed by A/V. Maybe an A/V OG remembers and can help provide some context.

We offer both! Right here in our proposal, as well as on our Notion page, we highlight the free Craig bot and instructions for how to use it. If folks want more than just the audio recording, we can provide video capture and streaming services as well. For those who want to DIY, we also offer talent development through training on OBS video capture software, Descript transcription and AI software, and soon we’ll have training on even more.

The A/V Guild also offers services outside the scope of basic meeting recording for groups that need those things but might not have contributors within their own group with the necessary skills or tools.

1 Like

checking your notion i couldn’t find much about the obs training or others, might be my mistake.

are these trainings free? if not, how much would be cost of training? if it is a paid service, you should keep it pretty cheap :slight_smile: we discussed with IMN before to get OBS and AV training from the AV guild but it was expensive as i remember, am i right @Jengajojo?

The Craig bot stuff is on the Notion, but I don’t think the other trainings are up there. I know the OBS offer has been extended in weekly calls on multiple occasions, and the Descript offer was included in weekly meeting notes for most of Season 6. Admittedly, these things are not highly visible, but I’m also not familiar with anyone specifically asking for them either.

To your question about the costs, the examples I gave were not paid trainings. I took Droste up on his Descript training offer in Season 6 and there was no mention of pay involved. (It really leveled up my transcription and audiogram skills, too.) If someone had reached out to A/V before about paid trainings, I’m not familiar with that instance.

1 Like

To piggy back off of @raybankless.eth - What has been done in Season 7? could you please link me to new content/what is being worked on

Season 7 Kick Off Coverage

Season 7 Kick Off Twitter Spaces - Community Call | February 10th, 2023

Weekly CC Recording/Streaming

Community Call | February 17th, 2023
Community Call | February 24th, 2023
Community Call | March 3rd, 2023
Community Call | March 10th, 2023
Community Call | March 17th, 2023
Community Call | March 24th, 2023
Community Call | March 31st, 2023
Community Call | April 7th, 2023
Community Call | April 14th, 2023
Community Call | April 21st, 2023

Fight Club Demo Recording/Streaming

Tech Thursday - Web3 Project Demos: Shield - Fight Club Venture DAO [BanklessDAO]
Ottr Finance Demo Fight Club BanklessDAO
BanklessDAO Demo Fight Club Tech Thursdays Barracuda
Tech Thursday - Web3 Project Demos: piggi.ai - Fight Club Venture DAO [BanklessDAO]
Fight Club Tech Thursdays - Caddi Finance Demo - BanklessDAO
Tech Thursday - Web3 Project Demos: GasHawk.io - Fight Club Venture DAO [BanklessDAO]
Web3 Project Demos: Resonate - Fight Club Venture DAO [BanklessDAO]
Web3 Project Demos: Soshow
Web3 Project Demos: Supercluster Labs
Web3 Project Demos: Slice.so
Web3 Project Demos: Gritti
Web3 Project Demos: PRAISE
Web3 Project Demos: Copperx
Web3 Project Demos - Helix
Web3 Project Demos: Cruize Finance
Web3 Project Demos: Purple Trader

Grants Committee Meeting Recordings

Feb 13
Feb 20
Feb 27
Mar 7
Mar 13
Mar 20
Mar 27
Apr 17

Uploads and Channel Management for Other Groups

How IDriss is Developing their Product Through Hackathons - Interview at ETH India
How POKT Network Became The Primary Platform for Decentralized Node Infrastructure - BanklessDAO AMA
Weekly Rollup Recap | Season 6: Relivin’ the Ride
How Vertex Protocol is Making Professional Trading Accessible on a Decentralized Platform
Weekly Rollup Recap | Crypto Scams Survey 2022
Weekly Rollup Recap | Academics Assist in DAO Role Analysis
Weekly Rollup Recap | Iterative Improvement to the DAO Constitution
ETH Denver 2023 Recap
Chat with Darius Tabai, Co-Founder - Vertex
Weekly Rollup Recap | Signers of the Times
Weekly Rollup Recap | Collab.racadabra!
Weekly Rollup Recap | Quadratic Funding Hits the Mark
Weekly Rollup Recap | It’s About Time (-Locked BANK)
Weekly Rollup Recap | The BanklessDAO in Spanish Proposal Está en Llamas

Talent Development Opportunities

Talent Coordinator offering of training to start Season 7, (free)
OBS Setup Video, created by the Talent Coordinator (free)
Another training offering for a new prospective member (free)
Droste can help you get started with Descript transcription software (free)

Talent Scouting and Hands-On Upskilling

We’ve also recently voted to launch a talent scouting and hands-on upskilling initiative. By partnering with an existing web3 podcast, participants in the program can learn how to start a podcast, run a live studio, edit recordings, and publish their own audio or video content across both web2 and web3 platforms. The more of this talent we have in the DAO, the more quality media we will be able to create.

On top of these talent development opportunities, a pathway for revenue back to the DAO was implemented on day one, with the help of web3 tools like Lens Protocol. Clips from each episode are offered as paid collects on Lens and 18% of any revenue is sent directly to the BanklessDAO Treasury Polygon Safe via automatic smart contract.

1 Like