Sponsor: frogmonkee #6855
Co-Sponsors: totehoser#9975, bg999#6547, crayonz#3427
Date: May 6th, 2021
DAO Proposal - Writers Guild
We propose the creation of a Writer’s Guild, a loosely organized collective open to anyone that wishes to be recognized as a writer. The guild will be a community resource. Effectively a labor pool for anyone to tap into.
What is the Writer’s Guild?
The Writer’s Guild represents a group of Bankless community members that are willing to produce written content for the crypto community. It is open to anyone that wishes to join, no qualifications or pre-requisites.
Why do we need a Writer’s Guild?
Creating a Guild gives writers in the ability to group together and gives the community direct access to a source of skilled labor.
Who would use the Writer’s Guild?
Below is a sample of possible needs:
- DAO-native initiatives: product launches, newsletter contributions, rewrites of outdated content, copy editing
- Third party content sites/creators working with the BanklessDAO community
- Personal projects
- Competitions with prizes & judged by BANK holders
How would I use the Writer’s Guild?
By submitting requests on a Bounty Board that could look like:
Each bounty should be seeded with some amount of compensation, denominated in $BANK. This money can come from initiatives funded by the treasury or third parties seeding with their personal funds.
These bounties can be claimed by anyone (even outside the Writers Guild). Bounty owners must then approve/deny the claim. Members of Writing Guild will have a record of previous work, letting owners curate the quality of their posts and allowing for future specialization on topics and types of written pieces.
For now, we propose that bounties can only be posted by BanklessDAO members and media nodes. We can expand later as we see fit (thank you @wolfehr for this suggestion).
It’s sensible that a movement started through a newsletter has many strong writers. Our main motivation is to organize that talent and make it easily accessible. If the Bankless movement continues to dominate in the crypto media space, written content will remain in high demand. Newsletters, blogs, media coverage, etc. A long term goal would be to see the Writers Guild turned into a fully fledged marketplace for DeFi content creation.
If the Writers Guild proves beneficial, then the model could be expanded and modified for any skill set, including development, design, marketing, tutorials, etc. All of this work could be collaboratively with the participants being fairly compensated.
- Create a #writers-Guild channel & label on Discords
- Create a bounty board and formalize any rules and operating practices
- Include in a newsletter
We’d like to create a Writer’s Guild, a loose collection of community members that are volunteering to write. At this stage, BanklessDAO is a media organization and written material is the bread and butter of what we do. To produce the eventual swell of content, having an organized labor pool will be a valuable resource to everyone in the community. In time, we hope to see the Writer’s Guild specialize and diversify around what the community needs.
- frogmonkee - Pseudonymous writer. Wannabe dev.
- bg999 - Ethereum explorer. Writer.
- Crayonz - background in philosophy and creative writing (fiction); I’m currently writing my first novel, which largely centers around an angry Wizard named Chris, who curses a lot and is, at least in the first chapter, seen to throw poop at another character. I’m studying crypto and the associated econ theory, but only since January.
- totehoser - I like DeFi and I write good.