Translators Guild Season 3 Budget Proposal

Title: Translators Guild Season 3 Budget Proposal

Authors: TommyOlofsson#5656, Grendel#3875

Date Created: 2021-12-16 (at closing of internal vote)

Date Posted: 2021-12-18

SUMMARY

The Translators guild ask would be 698,000BANK for Season 3 as outlined below

SUMMARY OF ACTIVITIES IN SEASON 2

During season two a lot of our focus was directed towards pivoting Translations from Season one which was not published and had a limited measurable audience apart from some media nodes and start new nodes, this turned into the now stand-alone project International Media Nodes. During this time we have seen a lot of new contributors and members. With the IMNs spunn out of the guild we need to restart and identify how the guild proceeds to source talents and educate new members in the ways of the DAO and the guild. This work was started late in Season two and will be a key area for us going forward.

SEASON 3 PLANS AND GOALS

We’re looking to restart our guild as we spun off our major IMN project during Season 2. In order for it to stand on its own legs and to bring a clear cut separation we believe there should be no overlap in roleholders between the IMN management and the Translators guild for major roles. For the guild funding we’re looking to focus our efforts into 3 major areas: Onboarding into the guild, Coordination of the guild and the incubation of new projects within the guild. We would like to suggest that each of the offices described below have one major role, of which one person would be responsible, and a few supporting minor and/or micro roles to assist. Coordination and Onboarding will have the possibility to ask the Treasury for bounty allocation to drive their efforts further during the season if they want to include more contributors.

FINANCIAL IMPLICATIONS

Coordinator Office

Guild Coordinator 5K/week

Guild contents manager 4k/week

Governance and Treasury

Guild governance coordinator 4k/week

Guild accountant 4k/week

Onboarding

Talent Scout 4K/week

Members point of contact 4K/week

Projects and bounties

Guild projects manager 4k/week

Projects fund 75K/season (could fund the onboarding extra procedures)

Bounties fund 34k/season (could fund the onboarding extra procedures)

Microroles fund 91k/season (7 microroles, 1K/week)

Coordinape (150k/season)

The total budget request for the Translators Guild for Season 2 is 698,000 BANK as per the summary above.

SUCCESS METRICS OR KPIS

We will develop new KPIs for the guild, we will be looking at a NPS for the onboarding process, the amount of guild contributors and its development and also look at the number of new projects incubated within the guild. These KPIs will be clarified and developed upon during the start of the season and voted by the guild before tracking starts.

4 Likes

Given that much of the translation work has spun out into the IMN project, this budget seems quite high. I’d also like to understand what the 91K in microroles refers to. Additionally, how many members are active in the guild that would translate to 150K in Coordinape?

I answer as the coordinator of the guild:

1. The translators guild is often the first point of contact for all new members who don’t speak English well and don’t feel comfortable in an English-centric DAO. The Guild is more than translations, it is onboarding, hospitality and education, which is often lacking in the DAO;
  2. The translators guild is a guild, the IMN is a project: after so many months of pointing out and explaining the differences, I find it difficult to explain how the guild can create so many other projects besides the IMN. The IMN was created to build new channels, those that the MediaNode project was unable to do. But these channels will be “private”, not DAO owned. So to assimilate the IMN to the Guild would mean that we are privatizing the DAO;
  3. Micro roles are those that are assigned to newcomers, to allow them to begin to understand how the DAO works, the Guild and above all to start interacting with other members and make them feel part of the DAO
  4. The number of people participating in the Translators Guild exceeds 35-40

Personally I don’t think it is an exaggerated request but in line with what happens in many other guilds. If the will of the DAO is to move funds from guilds to projects it is certainly something desirable, but:

1. Who will support the onboarding of new members?
  2. Are we sure that the money for the projects is well spent and that the majority of voters (who often participate in the projects themselves) are enough to distribute them?
5 Likes

First of all, this would be the only guild for people wanting to create content thats not in english to turn. We can offer both help as in procedures and maybe funding as well as other people that can work in their project in the intended language. This for me is very important that we work the procedures for this given that our mission is not just to onboard English speakers to crypto, the IMN reach shows there is a demand for this type of content!

Adding to what Grendel said, this guild would be the point of contact for all internal projects looking for translations of their content not published in the IMNs. Hopefully, given our mission this will be an increasing workload as the other projects in the DAO progresses.

I can also see, just as in marketing, we could re-start an external facing translation project given the amount of talent now present in the guild and the DAO.

3 Likes

in addition, if the IMN is the Translators Guild, then DeGen, BountyBoard, the Content app should be the Dev Guild and, as I had openly argued during the Grants Committee, Devs should receive a single salary to build, not one for the Guild and one for each project they are a part of.

If this is the direction the DAO wants to take for S3, the Translators Guild will play its part

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies! Makes a lot more sense. I was just looking for some clarity on the numbers given my limited scope of view within translators guild.

2 Likes

Sorry if sometimes I get too passionate :sweat_smile:

Better to have more passion than less :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m new to guild governance, but I really like these 3 points.

1 Like

I agree we should not pay double salary to the same work.
And also we should pay more money for more work.
To solve this problem, we need more details way to measure KPI accurately , then salary can be role-base salary + kpi salary.

Also, how we view IMN project effect how we pay these cross-border role.

• If IMNs are subDAO of Translators Guild, these roles can to be combined and pay correct salary.
  • If IMNs are separated entity, they are financially separated. The IMNs and Translators Guild have their own budget and role base salary.

If I understand correctly, we’re in transition period, there are not clear cut at the moment.

Just my 2 cents

1 Like

When I joined Bankless 2 weeks ago, I totally did not know about the difference between translators guild and IMN. I asked about it in the channel. Someone told me that the translators guild is the talent pool of IMN project. After reading this topic, I realized that translators guild is much more like “languages guild” and the fact is really like that. There are more things need to be done except translation in the guild. e.g. I know someone in my guild did not join the call to introduce themselves b/c they are not good at spoken English, but it is OK when they translate an English article to their native languages. So in summary, the building of the translators guild is necessary. Thanks to Grendel.

1 Like

IMN project will have just one role - IMN coordinator, and that role would not be combined with roles within Translators guild.

I also agree that salaries should not double for roles within projects and guilds, but it should be clearly defined what role is about. If project role means more work for the same person that is already in the guild, it should be paid more, or restricted to one role per person.

1 Like

It’s amazing to see the work there and there is definitely a difference between the vital work IMNs and the Translators Guild does. Non English Initiatives are the high touch first contact for the majority of the next 1 billion imo

Title: Updated Translators Guild Season 3 Budget Proposal

Authors: TommyOlofsson#5656, Grendel#3875

Date Created: 2021-12-27

SUMMARY

The Translators guild ask would be 623,000BANK for Season 3 as outlined below

SUMMARY OF ACTIVITIES IN SEASON 2

During season two a lot of our focus was directed towards pivoting Translations from Season one which was not published and had a limited measurable audience apart from some media nodes and start new nodes, this turned into the now stand-alone project International Media Nodes. During this time we have seen a lot of new contributors and members. With the IMNs spunn out of the guild we need to restart and identify how the guild proceeds to source talents and educate new members in the ways of the DAO and the guild. This work was started late in Season two and will be a key area for us going forward.

SEASON 3 PLANS AND GOALS

We’re looking to restart our guild as we spun off our major IMN project during Season 2. In order for it to stand on its own legs and to bring a clear cut separation we believe there should be no overlap in roleholders between the IMN management and the Translators guild for major roles. For the guild funding we’re looking to focus our efforts into 3 major areas: Onboarding into the guild, Coordination of the guild and the incubation of new projects within the guild. We would like to suggest that each of the offices described below have one major role, of which one person would be responsible, and a few supporting minor and/or micro roles to assist. Coordination and Onboarding will have the possibility to ask the Treasury for bounty allocation to drive their efforts further during the season if they want to include more contributors.

FINANCIAL IMPLICATIONS

Coordinator Office

Guild Coordinator 5K/week

Guild contents manager 4k/week

Governance and Treasury

Guild governance coordinator 4k/week

Guild accountant 4k/week

Onboarding

Talent Scout 4K/week

Members point of contact 4K/week

Projects and bounties

Guild projects manager 4k/week

Projects fund 75K/season (could fund the onboarding extra procedures)

Bounties fund 34k/season (could fund the onboarding extra procedures)

Microroles fund 91k/season (7 microroles, 1K/week)

Coordinape (75k/season)

The total budget request for the Translators Guild for Season 2 is 623,000 BANK as per the summary above.

SUCCESS METRICS OR KPIS

We will develop new KPIs for the guild, we will be looking at a NPS for the onboarding process, the amount of guild contributors and its development and also look at the number of new projects incubated within the guild. These KPIs will be clarified and developed upon during the start of the season and voted by the guild before tracking starts, once we decided on specific KPIs in these areas we will work to increase that number during the season and return with concrete goals for S4.